This is something new to me.

Oh goodness! I think I figured out what dataware is talking about (in this thread). If you browse around Alexa's site, you'll notice colored boxes that represent the old style of Google Adwords boxes, labeled "sponsored links". When you click on it, it takes you to this page: http://www.adbrite.com/mb/commerce/purchase_form.php

Very, very unprofessional if you ask me!

Hello cscgal, I looked at the site and have a question for you. If you where to buy ad-space on other high traffic ranking sites through adbrite would that increase the traffic rating for your site? and do you think it is a good inexpensive marketing. Thanks small business

It will get you traffic, but it won't raise your ranking in search engines because the links aren't static, and therefore spiders can't interpret them. What do you mean increase traffic rating? Are you talking about the dreaded Alexa. Take anything Alexa says with a grain of salt - their stats don't mean anything.

Yes you hit that nail on the head, thats what I was talking about the dreaded alexa, have you heard of anyone else using adbrite for there sales and having any luck.

This is something new to me.

Alexa selling advertising space?

Very, very unprofessional if you ask me!

on what planet is it unprofessional to sell advertising space?

It's not at all unprofessional for Alexa to sell advertising space. I just think it isn't very professional for Alexa, a web service owned by Amazon.com, to use measely little AdBrite to sell ads. THAT is what is unprofessional. It's like seeing Google AdSense ads on MSN.

It's not at all unprofessional for Alexa to sell advertising space. I just think it isn't very professional for Alexa, a web service owned by Amazon.com, to use measely little AdBrite to sell ads. THAT is what is unprofessional. It's like seeing Google AdSense ads on MSN.

looks like Alexa is sold out at $1.83 per click... never underestimate Amazon's ability to maximize revenue.

i think it's less about "measly little adbrite" and more about earning almost $2 per click -- try matching that with adsense... heh

http://www.adbrite.com/mb/commerce/purchase_form.php?zone_id=19575

THAT is what is unprofessional. It's like seeing Google AdSense ads on MSN.

looks like MSN uses Kanoodle (smaller than adbrite) and Overture (bigger than adbrite)

do you find Microsoft to be unprofessional also? you're a regular bill gates :D

Not sure how many of you know this, but I feel it's my duty to point out pud's the "CEO" of AdBrite. I put this in quotes because it's just too much irony for me to write with a straight face. Sorry pud. :)

Hi

I just want to ask why this is unprofessional. All large companies use other companies to deal with different aspects of their business. A good example is HP, they don’t make any part of their PCs, they just sub contract all there work to other companies and then sell the final product off for a nice profit.
I own a website similar to Adbrite and I think it is a very useful service, although I could just be bias. Anyway my point is that all companies use other companies all the time to get the job done more efficiently, as no one company can do everything. :eek:

I don't think it's the fact that Alexa is selling text links that is unprofessional. I think it's the fact that Amazon.com, who literally pioneered ecommerce, is outsourcing their advertising sales to a company that, for the most part, is known for dealing with smaller-sized advertisers. AdBrite is not an advertising agency in that they aren't a site representation company (the definition of an "advertising agency") who solicits advertisements (which is the route most of the larger sites take, if they don't do it in house). Instead, they're a marketplace who acts like a combo buyer directory / ad management system for the seller.

What makes it unprofessional is that Amazon.com, who has all of these gigantic ecommerce resources available to them, doesn't bother to invest in a proprietary text ad management system for their own site ... but instead goes with one of the relatively newer and smaller and privately-owned (all relatively speaking, of course) players out there.

There's a difference between Kanoodle and AdBrite (unless I'm mistaken). Kanoodle is a full service network. AdBrite is only a marketplace.

Ok, I see what you mean, but I must ask something then: Do you think these “market places are no good for large companies? I ask because I am fairly new to the advertising business and I have started an advertising “market place, where I hoped that both small and large organisations would benefit. Before you look at my site and criticize, it has only been running properly for about 1 month and what’s there is only the first stage of about 5 stages.
If large companies wouldn’t use the service my website offers, what do you think, would make companies like this interested? Also if every large organisation did make there own in house system, then other companies looking to advertising, would have to spend hours finding them and signing up to them. Where as in a “market place they signup once and they can purchase all their advertising goods from one place. Is this not more efficient?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.