Is it worth having a forum that allows the members and guests to talk to each other?

Would it have any positive or negative values?

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

It depends on how you look at it. Some would say that its a good thing because some computer users who need help could simply post a question or message w/o having to become a member just for a couple posts. Others would say that this is a sight for techies and we're not here for tech support. Personally, i think its positive. If people ask stupid questions we can just ignore them anyways :cheesy:

We used to allow guest posting here a long time ago. It wasn't very beneficial. Most posters registered, and those who didn't, only posted on the site to spam. Until quite recently we allowed guests to REPLY to existing threads in the Geek's Lounge. However, that was stifled recently due to spam as well.

What we do now is utilize the IRC chat. Everyone is welcome to chat live in there, and I think it's a great way for members and non-members to chit chat. Then, for all support questions, they must register and post on the forums. So far I haven't found any drawbacks to allowing guests to interact with members ... if anything, we have a very faithful community. Our members are our best advocates. Often I'll browse the Geek's Lounge and see a post where someone introduces themself as a new member. Other members who have only been registered for 1 or 2 days will reply, welcoming them, and saying that they have already learned so much in only the 1 or 2 days they have been here for.

Do I know you, Atomica? I know someone who uses that username a lot.

I am no expert but I really don't see any benefits from letting Guests posts. You have little control over guests and you never know what someone will do. Plus in the USA there is always COPPA to deal with.

Unless you know a New Zealander - Yeah you might know me.

I would strongly recomend against a guest only forum for the simple reason that it is very difficult to control that, besides registeration does not take long at all, atmost it takes a minute or two and after that its all well organized.

Unless you know a New Zealander - Yeah you might know me.

Woohoo! Another Kiwi!

*coughs* Anyway - I have one forum where guests can post, The Testing Zone...it allows them to get a feel for the site without cluttering up the main forums with possible spam. :)

Woohoo! Another Kiwi!

*coughs* Anyway - I have one forum where guests can post, The Testing Zone...it allows them to get a feel for the site without cluttering up the main forums with possible spam. :)

Have you found many people who post on the guest forum actually end up registering? I'd be interested in that data. In having joined several forums in hopes of being able to promote mine, I do find that the requisite form and e-mail response is a pain. But I'm not sure if posting in a guest forum would actually encourage me to join if I had no ulterior motive.

my site had a guest forum but i took down due to inactivity and spam:D

:p I have opened support and feedback forum for guests and none other ;)

Have you found many people who post on the guest forum actually end up registering? I'd be interested in that data. In having joined several forums in hopes of being able to promote mine, I do find that the requisite form and e-mail response is a pain. But I'm not sure if posting in a guest forum would actually encourage me to join if I had no ulterior motive.

Well, no. I don't actually think any guest has ever posted in there.

Interesting thread.

So... most of you suggest against "guest" posting.

Here is what I am planning to do - I have a very exclusive members website. To become a member, you have to pass several "tests" that cannot be faked. This includes a voice call to your current employer.

There is a ton of brain power in that group, and there are some who cannot make it because of one or an other reason. I would still like to offer these non-members a sort of a guest pass. Register as a user, yet not have full access to everything internal. I guess this is what Atomica was talking about. The requirements to register as a "guest" would be seriously reduced, allowing the "guests" to post/read/mingle in designated areas with the full members.

Does this still sound like a bad idea?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.