I just read a blog that talked about building one's own reputation as a thought leader on specific topics or industries as a way of maximizing the reach of your social media marketing plan. It seems like a no-brainer to me but if your company does not have a stand out person who can become a thought leader quickly does anyone think it is possible to use social media to develop a thought leader in the shortest period of time?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I think we read the same blog post. These are the issues I observed with having a thought leader within the shortest period of time:
1. Internal Acceptance within the company
2. External Acceptance within the company
3. Being part of the communication loop - it is a must - especially with social media. Worst case scenario is when someone outside the company post some breaking news about your company or team before you knew.
4. The thought leader needs to be given space to expand the role and also support
5. Cant be silo.
6. Engagement..Engagement..Engagement.

Thus, social media does allow for someone to become a thought leader but this thought leader also have to demonstrate a value to the community it serves. Otherwise, it is just advertisement.

I think we read the same blog post. These are the issues I observed with having a thought leader within the shortest period of time:
1. Internal Acceptance within the company
2. External Acceptance within the company
3. Being part of the communication loop - it is a must - especially with social media. Worst case scenario is when someone outside the company post some breaking news about your company or team before you knew.
4. The thought leader needs to be given space to expand the role and also support
5. Cant be silo.
6. Engagement..Engagement..Engagement.

Thus, social media does allow for someone to become a thought leader but this thought leader also have to demonstrate a value to the community it serves. Otherwise, it is just advertisement.

I agree with your assessment but my main question was can social media be used to establish a thought leader in a short period of time. Most thought leaders establish their credentials over an extended period of time. Do you think that a thought leader who is established predominately through social media would be accepted by others within an industry.

Well, that is an exact question a very well regarded and known social media and web analytics blogger asked me just recently. We think it is possible as long as it is associated industry. I will report findings.

I look forward to what you find out. I also think that the industry itself will dictate if social media can be used to establish a thought leader regardless of how fast or slow it happens. As much as social media has penetrated many areas of the business world there are others that still regard it as a non-entity in terms of their industry. They may be one of the late-adopters of social media but even then I think that their though leaders are going to need to have years of experience in the field rather than multiple blog posts, webinars and forum posts.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.