We all know majority of businesses are jumping into social media. The question is: "When is it not appropriate to do so?" I personally dont recommend it for certain type of businesses like funerals, unless you are adding sending a gift. What do you think?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I think it depends on your reasons for getting involved... Social Media can be a powerful tool for branding, announcing new products/services, promoting special offers, and it could act as a medium for you customers to contact you - as well as share positive (or negative) experiences with others.

If your users or followers see that you have a Social Media platform, they might appreciate the fact that you have opened the doors of communication to the public and themselves. So i don't necessarily think it is in bad taste for a funeral parlor to have a Twitter account or Facebook page... as long as they are doing it for the right reasons - ie. exposure for the company and to open the doors of communication.

I think it depends on your reasons for getting involved... Social Media can be a powerful tool for branding, announcing new products/services, promoting special offers, and it could act as a medium for you customers to contact you - as well as share positive (or negative) experiences with others.

If your users or followers see that you have a Social Media platform, they might appreciate the fact that you have opened the doors of communication to the public and themselves. So i don't necessarily think it is in bad taste for a funeral parlor to have a Twitter account or Facebook page... as long as they are doing it for the right reasons - ie. exposure for the company and to open the doors of communication.

I would agree with you but InsightsDigital has a point also. Using the example of a funeral home, a twitter feed for a facebook page (especially a fan page) would not be appropriate. A blog about dealing with grief would be better because it would afford the funeral home an opportunity to display its compassion for those who are grieving. To try to do the same in twitter (160 character limit) or a facebook page (where controlling ads on your page is an issue) would seem a little insensitive.

I totally agree. That is why I recommend to some clients that just pick one or two social media tactics and then let it grow - not all social media is appropriate for all businesses. I cant see people subscribing to tweets about who is having their funerals. I think this is a very private and only shared if the family wants to share it.

I totally agree. That is why I recommend to some clients that just pick one or two social media tactics and then let it grow - not all social media is appropriate for all businesses. I cant see people subscribing to tweets about who is having their funerals. I think this is a very private and only shared if the family wants to share it.

On the flip side of this, a funeral home could set up a twitter feed for the deceased as a way for people to leave their condolences who are not able to make it to the funeral home. Many newspapers set up condolence pages in their obituary sections on their websites and I have recently been invited to join a fan page on facebook for a late friend of mine from high school that was set up by his little brother as a tribute page. I think in terms of the example of a funeral home, they have to find a happy medium. I would say that this is true of all companies that are in sensitive business markets.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.