I just read on a blog about Web 3. 0 - collective intelligence and how twitter helped expedite this. But dont you consider Twitter to be part of Web 2.0. Then what would you consider Web 3.0 then? I remember reading on wiki that web 3.0 was semantic driven. Then what gives?

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

I think that when we go from Web 2.0 to Web 3.0 certain tools will be bridges between the two, twitter being the most likely and maybe linkedin also.

I do wonder if there is some other technology (not yet made) that will become the Web 3.0 rockstar just like how Facebook and Twitter became Web 2.0 stars.

maybe google wave does?

Maybe but Google Wave is with invite only and I sure dont have an invite yet.

I think the rockstar of Web 3.0 may yet be Twitter. It is still growing in terms of the apps and products that are being created around it and regardless of what many others say I think it still has some growing to do, both in terms of users and technology.

I think the rockstar of Web 3.0 may yet be Twitter. It is still growing in terms of the apps and products that are being created around it and regardless of what many others say I think it still has some growing to do, both in terms of users and technology.

I agree.. additionally, it should be interesting to see how successful their ad platform becomes...

CNN just released an article written by Pete from Mashable in regards to the future of the web for 2010, similar to the topic of this thread. Basically, he mentions cloud technology and how there will be no more GPS devices.
http://www.cnn.com/2009/TECH/12/03/cashmore.web.trends.2010/index.html

I think that cloud technology and Web 3.0 were made for one another. I wonder if the combination of the two will have any affects on mobile users, especially people using web-enabled phones and e-books.

I think it is just marketing. It took 15 years to go from 1.0 to 2.0
How can 3.0 appear so soon?

Just because the time frames from one version to the next version does not mean that it is the smoke and mirrors normally associated with marketing. Take the iPhone. Would you say that the shrinking time frames in new advances in cellphone technology is just marketing. In the late 80s cell phone technology was rudimentary, by the late 90s we had cell phones the size of a deck of cards that could make phone calls and send text messages in some cases. Now we can access the web, post to twitter and facebook, take hi-quality video and post the video on line in a matter of minutes.

Because the web has become more and more important..
There are more internet users and more programmers/developers
?

twitter linkedin are giving the way for the web 3.0.. may be google wave too..

Maybe but Google Wave is with invite only and I sure dont have an invite yet.

I got my invite a month ago but have yet to go have a look. Still in beta I think. I wait for things to roll out completely before I jump in. I've been burned a few times jumping in too quick.

I have no more details regarding web 2.0

Earlier last year, I researched on Web 3.0 and there was a wiki page stating that web 3.0 dealt with the integration of databases/BI/and semantics. But now it seems that web 3.0 may lead to some other form of technology, only time will tell.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.