Can anyne tell me more about re-targeting? Was the cTR higher or lower? Would you do it again?

Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you are familiar with re-targeting and cookies, let me know. I wonder if it helps increase click through rate.

If you are familiar with re-targeting and cookies, let me know. I wonder if it helps increase click through rate.

re-targeting your audience? Re-targeting the ads on the site? i don't follow

I have a good amount of experience with retargeting both as an advertiser and now as an employee at a retargeting company, {snip}.

I can tell you from an advertiser perspective, especially for ecommerce type sites, it works extremely well compared to other channels for display ads. The CTRs are frequently double what you might get for other display advertising.

I've found that the cost per conversion (although difficult to measure accurately) is usually on par with search marketing through google adwords.

The process is simple, you place a pixel on your site that carries a payload of additional pixels for some of the major ad networks, yahoo, google, adbrite, etc. Then a retargeting company will typically manage and optimize campaigns for you across these networks to re-target your previous website visitors with display ads. You have control over how often you advertise to them (frequency capping) and how much you bid (CPM). There are a lot of other advanced tactics too that can make things more effective.

Hope this helps,
Josh

So basically you cookie the visitor. The visitor leaves your site but gets ads displayed to them by other networks - based on the previous sites they visited? Am i following correctly?

Yes, that's correct. One clarification though:

An advertiser can only serve ads to people that have been to THEIR site. They can then serve ads to their previous visitors when they are on other sites in various ad networks or exchanges.

People can also opt-out of these campaigns anytime and/or clear their cookies.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.