OK...so here is my thought...I want to make a sports board for my local sports teams.

I want to get a board setup to server for a few different sports teams.

For example...

I want one message board for 4 different sports teams. A MLB team, a NFL team, a NHL team and a NBA team. I would like to use vBulletin but before I spend money I want to know if this is possible.

I also will have individual domain names for each of the 4 different areas on the one board. So individual campagins could be setup.

So...instead of 5 seperate boards...I want ONE. Possible? If so...any feedback to this approach.

Peace,

DJ Bill

PS: CSCGAL...I need to know how you seperated the different areas of the forum with the different colors...very nice!

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

As per the vBulletin license this is not allowed.

Thanks...maybe vBulletin is not the right solution for what I want to accomplish then. I am still curious if anyone has been able to do something similar to what I described in my first post.

Peace,

DJ Bill

I've not done what you envision, but sure. It's not far-fetched. How seperated do you want? If you want complete seperation of the 4 areas, then you might as well have 4 installations. So I'm assuming you want SOME integration between the 4. What are your ideas?

I've not used vBulletin, but I hear it is very nice. phpBB is of course very nice and popular, and the biggest selling point (misnomer), it is free.

I can think of one great reason to have it be a single board system for all 4 forums is that way people could have one account, but be members of multiple "forums".

Most forums already have a built-in, simple method to have multiple forums. For example, go to http://www.geekweekonline.com/forum. It's a website run by a strange friend of mine. I host him. What you'll be looking at is a phpBB system. Notice the main sections:
Announcements and Site News
General
Gaming
Tech Center
The Arts
You could use those top-level categories as your various forum sections. It would not be too difficult to then color code them, but that would be a hack.

Hey Troy,

Thanks for the post...I guess my goal is to avoid multiple board/communities logins.

6 different boards = 6 different logins. OUCH!!

The parent is a sports site and the 6 seperate sites are the main sports teams in the state. Now...one board to cover all 6 teams....works....but seems to limit the vision.

Seperate boards leads to more targeted promotions, more possibilities, more everything.

With vBulletin, I can have one site and have multiple URLS go to that site AND even show different STYLES but the forums need to stay the same and be the same...cannot have different content.

That would work but not sure if that would be limiting at all or not.....

I guess I am still weighing the PRO's and CON's...

Peace,

DJ Bill

On phpBB forms you can set members as different usergroups and then give them permission to only view certain forums.

with vbulletin this achieveable. using index.php?f=xx
with replacing the xx with the forumid of the category of that team it will display the category as thought it was the main page. for that category you can then set a style specifically for it thus making it a completely different site. just a suggestion;)

On phpBB forms you can set members as different usergroups and then give them permission to only view certain forums.

You can do this on vBulletin as well.

You could do this and require users to choose a usergroup, thus giving them access to only the appropriate forums.

IN addition, you can use vBadvanced CMPS homepage, which would alllow different homepages for different usergroups as well.

Hi I just joined and I found this site by following the link to this post as I was looking for info on online forums, so thanks.

I just wanted to throw in my two cents/pence whatever and say that I use xsorbit's mb's and they also allow you to set up different user groups with different viewing priviledges, so you could have one different user group for each team and they would all have the same url to go to and one password but only see what you allow them to see. I am by no means an expert but it is simply done.

If this is old news, then please disregard.

Invision rules!!!!!!

Invision rules!!!!!!

SharkLover makes some solid points in his post. His indepth insights shed light on the many technical advantages offered by Invision.

:rolleyes:

SharkLover makes some solid points in his post. His indepth insights shed light on the many technical advantages offered by Invision.

:rolleyes:

umm....you can make subforums..and Proboards suck...><

With IPB you can have a different skin inside each forum, and you can have subforums inside aswell. So you could use that too.

With IPB you can have a different skin inside each forum, and you can have subforums inside aswell. So you could use that too.

yeah that's really cool!!!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.