Do you allow guests to access member profiles? Why or why not? Do you think it encourages forum growth and new registrations TO allow or not to? :)

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

In most of my forums guests have no access to the profiles. It's in the end a question of security. I am now in the position I don't like being part of a forum that lets guests see my email address for instance or my details

Well I don't allow any users to see any other users email addresses (unless the member specifically enables the Download vCard option). But, it is a security concern for me, as well ... ie the ability to see birthdays, age, a short bio located in the profile, etc.

Do you allow guests to access member profiles? Why or why not? Do you think it encourages forum growth and new registrations TO allow or not to? :)

No, guests are not allowed to view profiles on our forum nor do we display email addresses to members. I believe it helps to keep the SPAM down.

Nope not at all. Reason? the spam factor AND I run a parenting site. Too many freaks out there stealing pictures of children and passing them off as their own!

I am working on a forum recently and I am certainly against providing guests the ability to view member information or even the list of member ids. I also disable a few forums from their view and let a few interesting and not so personal ones to be browsed.

Nope not at all. Reason? the spam factor AND I run a parenting site. Too many freaks out there stealing pictures of children and passing them off as their own!

What if some freak signs up just for the pictures? You couldn't guess a freak from his/her id, could you?

Well I don't allow any users to see any other users email addresses (unless the member specifically enables the Download vCard option). But, it is a security concern for me, as well ... ie the ability to see birthdays, age, a short bio located in the profile, etc.

It's actually somewhat of a great idea. It put's each member to the notion of having to actually meet other's and ask for the information rather than just eye spying around and learning about various individuals. It's not a Human Resource Site, these aren't Resume's and Portfolios.

Dani...

I have alot of Research and Developement Interests that I would actually enjoy discussing with you. You have designed a very creative and ingenuitive site. I am sure that you would find these Projects of mine to be a very unique and resourceful opportunity to offer everyone under the gTLD DaniWeb.com Internet Domain Address.

C.G.P.

Queen, As you have said that you don't allow any users to see any other users email addresses, due to security reason. There would be no problem if the profiles are provided with the options for which to display and which not to display.

It's all your choice queeny..
(doesn't matters to me..)

You can also let the users choose the option whether they want to show their profile to non members?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.