Basic Question - I am new to Dreamweaver CS3 and I am trying to create a menu bar on the bottom of page with links like

Home Contact Jobs FAQ ...

with a vertical line separating each word.

How do I do this?

Thank you for your help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

The Vertical Line (Vertical Bar, Pipe) key (|) is the key that looks similar to a colon, but uses two lines instead of two dots. Press (shift)+(\).
The easiest way to do this in dreamweaver design mode would be to click common-> table on the insert window. Create a table with one row and the number of columns will be the number of links you have. Put the word and | in each cell. Then highlight the word, go to the properties panel, and add the corresponding link. You could also achieve this with an unordered list and an inline display but this is a little more advanced.

There is no way to place an object at the bottom of the screen and have it work for every screen resolution.

The Internet does not work on the basis of a screen the size of your monitor, but on a downward-expanding page that grows until everything fits. Do not expect your material to fit exactly on one screen. It won't.

Can I just say that what MidiMagic is saying is not completely true..?
I'm not a Dreamweaver expert or whatsoever, and stumbled upon this article cause I'm trying to do the same thing... Eventually I just solved it with frames. I used a bottom frame in which I put the menu, then it will stay in the bottom when the page is scaled...
You might have figured it out in the meantime [a year has passed since your question] but I wanted to let you know anyway...
Hope this is the information you were looking for!

/edit: let us know if you're not familiar with frames ; )

Wow! Frames? This is 2010 right? You need fixed position elements for that.

<div id="lastThingInTheBody"><ul><!-- Menu here --></ul></div>
</body>
<style>
#lastThingInTheBody {
position:fixed;
bottom:0;
left:0;
width:100%;
height:auto;
}
</style>

For the IE6 users out there force chrome frame on them or use a fairly ugly hack. Personally I simply don't support IE6 any longer without chrome frame.

Can I just say that what MidiMagic is saying is not completely true..?
I'm not a Dreamweaver expert or whatsoever, and stumbled upon this article cause I'm trying to do the same thing... Eventually I just solved it with frames. I used a bottom frame in which I put the menu, then it will stay in the bottom when the page is scaled...
You might have figured it out in the meantime [a year has passed since your question] but I wanted to let you know anyway...
Hope this is the information you were looking for!

/edit: let us know if you're not familiar with frames ; )

How did you get it to move the frame to fit the different screen sizes?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.