Hello, all...

I'm posting this here because I'm not exactly sure where this sort of discussion should be posted, and since it hinges around some of the graphics that I want to use on my website, I thought I could at least start here.

I'm in the middle of developing a website, which for the moment I'd like to keep under wraps, but the gist of the issue is this: I'd like to be able to use images that I've downloaded from computer hardware OEM's websites (i.e. Dell, HP, Lenovo, etc) on my site. I understand that I need written permission to do so, and that's totally fine. What I'm asking is this: has anyone out there had any experience asking for such permission, and if so, what advice can you give someone who is trying to get said permission. I'm somewhat new to the business, and copyright law is nowhere near my forte.

I searched Daniweb and didn't find any discussion on this issue. I've also spent a good amount of time searching Google, and, while I've found some sites that have outlined WHAT I need to do, they never really go into any sort of detail on HOW it needs to be done.

Thanks for your time!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Wow... seriously no thoughts or advice on this?

I've started the process, and am actually getting some positive responses from companies. It would still be nice to hear anything any experts on here have to say about the subject.

Thanks!

I will tell you. There is something called the rules of "Fair Use". I am no expert but I have not had any complaints about using movie covers on my movie review website that I run. I "THINK" you can use images for the use of review and product testing for consumer information. Do not hold me to that. I could be wrong I am a lot

I did some research and found information on what you're referring to. I wasn't sure exactly if that applied to me, so I've gone ahead and asked permission from the companies who's images I want to use. So far I've heard back from two, both giving me permission.

I don't think it's any big deal either way, as long as you don't misrepresent the image as your own original work, which I won't be doing on my site, and obviously you're not doing on yours. I also think it would be a much bigger deal if I were making a boatload of cash from the images, which I can tell you I'm not going to be doing. :P

Thanks for your reply!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.