Hello, everyone,

I am experiencing a strange issue, or at least I find it strange. I'm actually at work, and a client wants to throw a few PowerPoints up on a web page with basic links to download or open them (depending on the end-user's configuration). Office 97-2003 (.ppt) files work fine; I click on the link and Firefox asks me if I want to Save or Open the file. Office 2007 (.pptx) files always come back page not found.

Is this an issue most likely with my browser MIME settings? Or is there something special about a URL ending in 'x'?

This one is making my brain hurt.

For reference, the type of link I'm using is as follows: <a href="./ppt_directory/filename.pptx">Filename</a> and <a href="./ppt_directory/filename.ppt">Filename</a> Thanks!
--Dave

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Also, I would like to add that this happens in both Firefox 3.5 and IE8 on my machine. I haven't test another machine.

Additionally, renaming the file on the server to .ppt and adjusting the link accordingly works perfectly. So what's the deal with .pptx??

More information...

Right clicking and choosing Save Link As saves the .pptx as a 1.6KB corrupt PowerPoint file.

Anyone experience this or have any ideas?

It could be that the server doesn't know how to use a .pptx file yet. Or it might not know to serve some auxillary file.

Did you use some built in file in the presentation, but forget to upload it? Missing parts can make corrupt downloads.

Note that the client computer has to actually have Office 2007 to play the .pptx file, or it must have a compatibility package for Office 2003 installed.

I would not yet use .pptx files on web pages. There are too few people with Office 2007 at this time.

It could be that the server doesn't know how to use a .pptx file yet. Or it might not know to serve some auxillary file.

I didn't think about this; I will look into it on the server.

Did you use some built in file in the presentation, but forget to upload it? Missing parts can make corrupt downloads.

I don't think can be the case. Although I didn't create the files, I have looked at them and there aren't any supplementary files that are referenced. Also, there are about a dozen each of .ppt and .pptx files that I am linking to, and all of the .ppt work and none of the .pptx. This suggests an issue with serving the file type and not a particular file.

Note that the client computer has to actually have Office 2007 to play the .pptx file, or it must have a compatibility package for Office 2003 installed.

I realize this, and so does the client. But regardless of whether or not the user has software to view .pptx files, the browser should still present the user with a prompt to Download or [try to] Open.

I would not yet use .pptx files on web pages. There are too few people with Office 2007 at this time.

This is the resolution I've come to; I received the client's authorization to convert all the 2007 format PowerPoint files into the previous version.

I'd still like to hear other ideas if any one has them.

Thanks for the reply!
-Dave

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.