So I have this html code:

<div id="blog" class="grid_16_1">
<div class="blog_wrapper">
<span class="left_align"><h3>From the Blog</h3></span>
<span class="right_align meta">Posted November 1st, 2009</span>
<p>Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipisicing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur. Excepteur sint occaecat cupidatat non proident, sunt in culpa qui officia deserunt mollit anim id est laborum.</p>
</div>
</div>

Which is under a bunch of other stuff, and right above my footer.

The problem is my repeating background image isn't going under the text toward the bottom, where it should be, but the background is just aligning to the top of the entire page.

Here is some the relevant css code:

.left_align {
	clear:both;
	float:left;
}

.right_align {
	float:right;
}

.blog_wrapper {
	margin-left:70px;
	width:820px;
	padding: 5px 0 5px 0;

height:117px;
}

#blog {
       	background: url('../img/blog_tile.png') repeat-x;
	height:117px;
	margin:0;

}

#blog h3 {
	font-size:15px;
	font-weight:bold;
}

#blog .meta {
	font-size:11px;
}

#blog p {
	margin-top:-17px;
	float:left;
}

My code doesn't completely validate in HTML yet, but I haven't found any relevant errors from the few that are listed.

Some help would be appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You have provided repeat-x to the bg image and it will repeat horizontally alone. Probably thats the reason you see it at the top of the entire page. Instead of repeat-x, provide repeat so that it spans horizontally and vertically.

Please let me know if this solves your issue.

Thanks, but unfortunately it is repeating correctly, just in the wrong location. It is a 1x117 image that is meant to repeat horizontally.

I figured out the problem. Since it seemed my CSS code was fine, I looked into my html, and it turns out that was the problem.

I needed to have a empty div with class "clear" applied to it. For whatever reason I thought you could do this as so:

<div class="clear" />

But you must do it like this I think:

<div class="clear"></div>
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.