I am trying to load a website with the proper address, running vista, pop up blockers and firewall off and security is safe. Still can't open up this site for some reason. Nor will it allow me to open it up on my iphone either. Any suggestions?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I am trying to load a website with the proper address, running vista, pop up blockers and firewall off and security is safe. Still can't open up this site for some reason. Nor will it allow me to open it up on my iphone either. Any suggestions?

l am not doubting you or nothing but ... you do have website hosting right?

You sure the address is correct? Maybe the website is down.

what site

Maybe the site no longer exists.

If it is your website, check the following:
- The url is correct
- The folder and files have world read and execute permission
- The files are in the correct folder
- Your hosting account is valid
- The files were actually uploaded to the server - the Internet can't see stuff on your PC
- The server hasn't filtered access to it
- Your internet service provider is blocking it due to spam or offensive content
- You have exceeded the monthly bandwidth on your free hosting and the site shut down until the next month
- The hosting webmaster moved you to a pay account because you exceeded bandwidth too many times

If it is someone else's website, check for:

- What error message are you getting?
--- If the server is not found, it might be down or closed.
--- If the page is not found, it might have been removed or changed url.
--- If the server has been instructed not to let you have it, the page does not have the proper world read and execute privileges.
--- If the page gives an error, something has happened to it.
--- The page uses obsolete code, and your browser can't interpret it.

- Does the host still exist? Geocities and a couple of other hosts closed down last year.
- Did the site change hosting companies? Google it.
- Did the owner close the site?
- Did the url of the page change because the owner renamed it?
- Was the site doing something illegal? If so, it may have been taken down by government.
- Is the site on free hosting? It might have used up its bandwidth and shut down until the end of the month.
- Has it been converted to a pay site?
- Has the page been damaged?
- Is your internet service provider blocking the server due to receiving spam or offensive content from it?
- Is your internet service provider blocking the page due to offensive or illegal content?
- Was the page time sensitive, such as a newspaper article? It may no longer exist.

I copied one of my other websites, changed the wording and uploaded it to a server. When I go to the URL I get Index of/ and then a list of the programs on the server or site, nothing else. What did I leave out of my program?

depending on server configuration

index.html index.php default.asp

the default file for the site seems to be missing or missnamed

when you access this-site.com you really get this-site.com/default-file.default-extension

if index.htm index.html index.php default.asp is not present the server does not know what to do

@phatgirl21 , please mention the exact error message you are getting

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.