I've got a bit of a problem that I could use some help with. There appear to be an extensive number of sites that are linking to mine, but are using an incorrect link to do so. Aside from searching Google, Yahoo, etc. with the phrase "link:www.mysite.org" and then checking each site in the results, which will take FOREVER and is not productive in the least, there has to be another way.

Does someone out there know of another method? If so I'd be very grateful for some insight! I'm the solitary developer of a non-profit web site and don't have the resources/manpower to tackle the task of visiting each site to see if they've linked to us correctly.

Many, many thanks in advance for your help!

Melissa

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I've got a bit of a problem that I could use some help with. There appear to be an extensive number of sites that are linking to mine, but are using an incorrect link to do so. Aside from searching Google, Yahoo, etc. with the phrase "link:www.mysite.org" and then checking each site in the results, which will take FOREVER and is not productive in the least, there has to be another way.

Does someone out there know of another method? If so I'd be very grateful for some insight! I'm the solitary developer of a non-profit web site and don't have the resources/manpower to tackle the task of visiting each site to see if they've linked to us correctly.

Many, many thanks in advance for your help!

Melissa

Why is it any of your business how others are linking to you? If they are linking to a URL that you removed, then you shouldn't have removed that URL. Put up a redirect if they're pointing at the wrong location.

Why is it any of your business how others are linking to you? If they are linking to a URL that you removed, then you shouldn't have removed that URL. Put up a redirect if they're pointing at the wrong location.

Why is it any of my business?! Because IT'S MY JOB to make it my business, that's why. Most web masters don't have a problem correcting bad links on their site, since dead links on their site make them look bad too.

I'm not going to go into a back and forth about putting up a redirect. It won't work in this case and your answer doesn't address my original question.

So if anyone can answer my original question, THANKS!

Why is it any of my business?! Because IT'S MY JOB to make it my business, that's why. Most web masters don't have a problem correcting bad links on their site, since dead links on their site make them look bad too.

I'm not going to go into a back and forth about putting up a redirect. It won't work in this case and your answer doesn't address my original question.

So if anyone can answer my original question, THANKS!

Your original question did not even adequately explain what you intend to do when somebody is writing a bad link. The best way to catch bad links is through your server's error logs.

...and if it's a different domain?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.