I have put exactly following code to make the text "Person of the Week contest" blinking anchor text on my homepage of http://BestAdPoster.com :

<div style="float:right; font-size:18px;width:100px;display:inline;border-style:groove;border-width:10px;text-decoration: blink;padding:10px;"><a href="http://bestadposter.com/forum/topics/person-of-the-week-contest">Person of the Week contest</a></div>

Unfortunately text blinks only on FireFox but it's static text on all other browsers (I have checked on IE, Chrome, Opera and Safari).

Can anyone tell me how to fix the problem? Why text is not blinking?

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

There is no way you can make blinking text with CSS for IE. It is better to make animated gif, then you can use fade in/fade out to make it less annoying.

CSS no, Javascript yes.

Put the following in between your <head> tags:

<script>
<!--
function doBlink() {
	var blink = document.all.tags("BLINK")
	for (var i=0; i<blink.length; i++)
		blink[i].style.visibility = blink[i].style.visibility == "" ? "hidden" : "" 
}

function startBlink() {
	if (document.all)
		setInterval("doBlink()",1000)
}
window.onload = startBlink;
// -->
</script>

And then wrap the words you want to blink within the body tags with <blink> text here </blink>

The value blink was used in CSS1 to replace the Netscape browser's blink tag, which is deprecated. The value is not supported in IE, Chrome, Opera, or Safari.

Regards, Arkinder

The blink tag is deprecated and shouldn't be used. Use the jQuery Blink plugin instead. Simply include the jQuery library and plugin in your code, then any element with the class blink will blink.

Regards, Arkinder

The value is not supported in IE, Chrome, Opera, or Safari.

Not supported for a very good reason...
One of the most unattractive effects of the 90's

The blink tag is deprecated and shouldn't be used. Use the jQuery Blink plugin instead. Simply include the jQuery library and plugin in your code, then any element with the class blink will blink.

Regards, Arkinder

I was unaware of this plugin. Not that I'll ever use it, but it's nice to be updated.

Not supported for a very good reason...
One of the most unattractive effects of the 90's

Another useless attempt, like tables for layout, to bring style and presentation where it shouldn't be; and we are still paying for it today.

Regards, Arkinder

Another useless attempt, like tables for layout, to bring style and presentation where it shouldn't be; and we are still paying for it today.

Regards, Arkinder

So true, I can't tell you how many projects I take on that consist strictly of nested tables with inline CSS. Cross-browser nightmare...

I was unaware of this plugin. Not that I'll ever use it, but it's nice to be updated.

jQuery is a JavaScript library that has a plugin for almost any animated effect you can think of. It's been taking over the web lately, and it's easy to see why. There are some exciting things in stored with the release of CSS3, and jQuery's use growing. For those that are interested, some interesting examples can be found here, here, and here - this is also cool.

Regards, Arkinder

Note: Even though the conversation is some what related; we should probably stop hijacking this thread. ^_^

Note: We should probably stop hijacking this thread. ^_^

Couldn't agree more. I know about jQuery and it's capabilities, I was just unaware jQuery had a "blink" plugin.

Thanks to everyone for helping me. I think I shall simply remove the blink option.
I am new to CSS and spent some time to fix the problem. If I would put the problem here beforehand that would save my time.

Thanks again.

The blink tag was invented as a joke, when someone at Netscape said can you make the text flash on and off. It is highly NOT recommended for a variety of usability reasons. It is considered one of the signs of a true beginner.

The blink tag was invented as a joke, when someone at Netscape said can you make the text flash on and off. It is highly NOT recommended for a variety of usability reasons. It is considered one of the signs of a true beginner.

Thanks for your suggestions. I have already removed blinking code.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.