I want to access a remote VB application(located on server) on a client machine via HTML web page.
Is it possible?

Is there any other way?
Actually initially they wanted an VB application to see punch details.Now they want to integrate it on local intranet so that user can launch the application by a hyperlink.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

HTML alone? I do not see how.

Is there any plans for fully integrating this VB appication as a web based one? If so, then the web page could be written in asp.net and migrate the VB code from the application to the asp.net/vb page.

Please tell how can i migrate the VB code from application to asp.net/vb page.
Are there any tools?
My application connects to a database on server.Will that be any problem?

I am not aware of tools that can migrate the app over, although more research would be needed. With regard to connecting to a DB, yes, it is very common for web applications to also connect to a DB. That is how web applications are dynamic in nature.

What is was thinking was that you would build web pages that mimic the console windows in your VB app. Once you have all of the text boxes, drop downs, etc., in the code behind, you could basically copy over and make some minor adjustments to your code. The code behind uses basically the same VB code in either type of application.

I want to access a remote VB application(located on server) on a client machine via HTML web page.
Is it possible?

Is there any other way?
Actually initially they wanted an VB application to see punch details.Now they want to integrate it on local intranet so that user can launch the application by a hyperlink.

of course you can
anything can be launched from a hyperlink, for more integration and probably using web code as an interface of your vb app you can use HTA extension on a html document.
ps.:
search at MSDN for HTA applictions ...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.