Hi I'm currently buidling my own website and know a feature i want and am looking for a script or some code to do it. only thing is i can't think what it would be called!

basically i want key features of the product on one side of the page, and the other side displays a description of each feature as it is clicked. I want it to load just on the far side of the page though rather than refreshing the whole page if that makes sense - i.e the user remains on the one page but the information changes as they click on things. any pointers would be appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

There are many ways to accomplish this, the easiest would be frames, although frames aren't the best way to go anymore. If you use Dreamweaver there are built in options to help you accomplish this, otherwise a tutorial on webmonkey or another how to site would be a good place to learn.

Yes. rus is right. The only way to do what you are asking for is using frames. However, frames are not widely used or accepted anymore as good website design.

You could accomplish this effect with Java Script!

The only way to do what you are asking for is using frames

yes, and mountain dew is the only flavor of soda....

taylor, here is a javascript example of something similar to what you want using javascript

<html>
<head>
<title>Our Products</title>
<META HTTP-EQUIV="CACHE-CONTROL" CONTENT="NO-CACHE">
<style type="text/css"> 
	.submenu { padding-left:15px;}
		</style>
<script type="text/javascript">
<!--

function SwitchtoSub1(){
if(document.getElementById){
	var el = document.getElementById('sub2');
		el.style.display = "none";
	var el = document.getElementById('sub1');
		el.style.display = "block";
	var el = document.getElementById('sub3');
	}
}

function SwitchtoSub2(){
	}
}

function SwitchtoSub3(){
	}
}

-->
</script>
</head>
<body>
<p><b>ProductList</b></p>

<form name="form1" action="productorder.html" method=post>
Please select a product:<br><br>
<input type=radio name=mType onclick="SwitchtoSub1()" value="prod1" checked><b>Product1</b><br>
<input type=radio name="mType" onclick="SwitchtoSub2()" value="prod2"><b>Product2</b><br>
<input type=radio name=mType onclick="SwitchtoSub3()" value="prod3"><b>Product3</b><br>

<br>
<br>
Product Information:
<table bgcolor="#CCCCCC" border=2>
<tr>
<td width=600 height=300>

<div class="submenu" id="sub1" style="display:block;">
Product 1 Sucks but its free.
</div>

<div class="submenu" id="sub2" style="display:none;">
Product 2 is cheap and does some neat stuff
</div>
<div class="submenu" id="sub3" style="display:none;">
Product 3 does everything, but it costs more than your house
</div>&nbsp;
</td></tr></table><br>
<table>
<tr><td width=600>
<center><input type=submit name="cont" value=Continue></center>
</td></tr></table></form>
</body></html>

If you feel adventurous enough, read up on ajax. It's meant to be such that everything that happens on your page don't need to be refreshed.

Yes. rus is right. The only way to do what you are asking for is using frames. However, frames are not widely used or accepted anymore as good website design.

Really you think this yet you can type your own name? Who's a clever boy. lol. The most effective way is defenately using javascript. I wouldn't use frames it will not achieve what you want exactly and will give you strange scroll bars.

Really you think this yet you can type your own name? Who's a clever boy. lol. The most effective way is defenately using javascript. I wouldn't use frames it will not achieve what you want exactly and will give you strange scroll bars.

Yes, you could do frames without the scrollbars, but frames are old technology that doesn't work very well. In fact, it's been so long since I've used frames in a site I can't even give you a code sample.

I'm sorry you are having to hear all the bickering and different ideas when you really need a clear pointer as to how to acheive the effect you want.

Some solutions you could research further are:
Frames
I Frames
Ajax
You could do this with "dynamic" coding such as PHP or VBScrip.
Javascript

As they say, there are many ways to skin a cat.

I hope this helps some.

the best solution is with php and Javascript.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.