Hi I have 5 div tags in my html page and there is a print button. when i click on the print button it has to print only a particular div. for example it has to print the 2nd div which contains some personal information. It should not print the rest of the page. Only the content of the 2nd div should be printed. how to achieve this?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Create a separate CSS for media print only.

This much of simple answer really does not help. I am not an expert. Can you elobarate how i can do this? if possible an example? becuase of printing i cannot hide the other div's. If so it changes the view in the browser. So can you please help me by explaining in little bit more.

ok you mean to say open another window with only the div that should be printed. is it? but is there a way to do without opening a seperate window with only the div that should be printed. Even when all other div's are present.

A print stylesheet is just an additional stylesheet used when printing the page. Here's a tutorial.

Really very very thanks for pointing to that tutorial. It is really great. Thank you so much.

Here's another approach that you can include with media queries..

You can have multiple divs and only print the content of a specific div by having some event fire (probably an onclick event) which will open a new window and pass the contents of that div, and have the printer dialog box open so the user can print..

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html>
<head>
<script src="http://ajax.googleapis.com/ajax/libs/jquery/1.9.0/jquery.min.js"></script>
<script>

function printDiv(data) {
        var printWindow = window.open('','','width=1024,height=768');
        printWindow.document.write('<html><head><title>Demo</title>');
        printWindow.document.write('<link rel="stylesheet" href="style.css" />');
        printWindow.document.write('</head><body>');
        printWindow.document.write($(data).html());
        printWindow.document.write('</body></html>');
        printWindow.print();
        printWindow.close();
        return true;
    }

</script>
</head>
<body>

<div id="div1">Open a window to print the contents of div-1.</div>
<div id="div2">This content will not be printed.</div>
<div id="div3">This content will not be printed.</div>

<input type="button" value="Print Div-1" onclick="printDiv('#div1')" />

</body>
</html>

Results...

21f09f19734cc282561ede00bcd86b2b

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.