Dark mode has gained immense popularity in recent years. Many apps and websites now offer both dark and light mode options. What do you think about this trend? Do you believe it enhances the user experience? How do you approach designing for both modes?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Think of the reasons behind this. In fact I have in my office an old laptop from 1998 which reminds me of those days.

1. Laptops back then had not so bright displays. Today with OLED, LED and such displays, it's often too bright.
  2. In smartphones, a light mode may reduce the number of minutes you get from the battery.
  3. Old people. Many have vision issues so let's give the users a choice.

I think it has to do with the target audience. I've noticed that programmers, especially, are really keen on dark mode. It has to do with spending hours at the screen, concentrating on text, and eye strain.

It was in the plans to add a dark mode to DaniWeb earlier this year, but unfortunately I fell ill, and have had constant brain fog that has been precluding me from taking on any projects of the scale required to achieve dark mode. Hopefully it will happen soon.

We are always for dark mode.. According to us, dark mode is less stressful for eyes than light mode

Hi everyone,
At my advanced age - I won't say exactly but am in my early 70s - I use light mode (and refuse to wear glasses) although I spend hours a day in front of the screen. It really wouldn't worry me to switch to dark mode. I work in a computer room with young engineering students who use it all the time.
What I have noticed though is that some very well-known websites now display on desktops in a very large font, or the appearance of one..I guess this is mobile first, but I find it really irritating.-

What I have noticed though is that some very well-known websites now display on desktops in a very large font, or the appearance of one..I guess this is mobile first, but I find it really irritating.-

You can always use Ctrl (or Cmd, if on macOS) and + or - to zoom in or out to adjust font size.

commented: Yes, of course Dani. I was referring to my local machine and the browser I use. +3
Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.