I'm doing a webcomic recently, now I completely idiot with the html so I made several identical html for each page and the navigation between page is just a simple link.

Now I heard about frame, I try it but I couldn't make the frame size big enough so my comic page is fit into it and people don't need to scroll to see the entire comic. Is it possible to use frame in that way and make sure that the site looks good for viewer with different resolution & browser?

And is it good enough to go with frames or there are better option than frame? I can't do php since I just use a free web hosting and they didn't provide php or any programming stuff.

thx.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Don't use frames.....ever!
It messes things up, and SEO goes down the drain.

If your webhoster don't a server side language....find another one.

There's nothing inherently wrong with Frames. If you need to use them to accomplish your goals, then by all means use them.

Take any sentence or site with "SEO" in it with a grain of salt.

Focus on your content, learning HTML, etc. Search engines are built to find content, so the idea that you have to perform extraordinary contortions to make that happen is mostly self-serving nonsense and Google-inspired propoganda.

Simpler is usually better, so the idea of static pages with hyperlinks is just fine. To answer your other question, while there are JavaScript techniques to determine browser size and screen resolution, users generally find that very annoying. In other words, if I want to browse with a certain size window, then a site shouldn't change it.

Most users will have 1024x768, with the next largest group at 800x600. If you can design for 800x600, then don't worry about detecting resolution.

I want to use frame because with static page whenever I add a new comic page then I need to add a new page and do a small editing to the rest of the other page. So when I reach 6th page I do 5 page small editing.

And I begin to worry if the webcomic ever reach something like 30 page and more that will be a very annoying routine. I might spend the same amount of time between adding a link to the new page in all previous page and doing the comic itself.

So I begin look for a better way. And if javascript is a bit annoying then no javascript I guess.

Any help how I can make the frame size fixed ? Instead a frame with scroll bar, I want to have a frame without scroll bar but showing the entire comic, its just about 400x500something px. Or frame is always be like that?

thx

You can size your frame. You can define "rows" and "cols", for example, inside your frame tag declaration:

A complete guide to all things frame-related:

http://www.w3.org/TR/WD-frames-970331

I want to use frame because with static page whenever I add a new comic page then I need to add a new page and do a small editing to the rest of the other page. So when I reach 6th page I do 5 page small editing.

I assume the small editing is linking the last page to the new page. Instead, just have the link go the the next page and have a "next installment coming soon" page that you just rename to page 7 when you load page 6.

Using frames, you still have the same amount of editing. It's just in different files.

I assume the small editing is linking the last page to the new page. Instead, just have the link go the the next page and have a "next installment coming soon" page that you just rename to page 7 when you load page 6.

Using frames, you still have the same amount of editing. It's just in different files.

The small editing is not just linking the last page to the next page. But more like linking all previously done page to the new page. Because I want all pages is accesible from any part of the sites.

Anyway its solved I use iframe and set all the width and height. But I will be glad if someone could take a look at the final work and maybe give some critiques. I know I don't have much good sense in colors and arranging panels.

Thx everyone.

You might try creating a javascript that will allow you to edit one file to update the links on all of your pages.

Member Avatar for GreenDay2001

You might try creating a javascript that will allow you to edit one file to update the links on all of your pages.

could you please tell me how to make that script, i would like to learn that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.