Hi All,

If this isn't the right place please direct me to the right place. If however you can assist me with an answer please do.

I'm looking to setting up a website

1. where people can type in various queries on stocks (prices, comparisons, traded volumes, annual reports, market capitalizations, gainers and losers, etc.) and the results in form of charts, graphs, reports will be displayed immediately.

2. that will display various technical indicators like EMA, MACD, MACDh, etc. on past prices and vloumes.

3. etc.

Example queries would be

1. display a graph of security XYZ and volumes traded each day from 01-01-2006 to 07-31-2007.
Expected result: A graph of prices will be on top and that of volumes will below.

2. Display companies with market capitalization more than XXXXX amount.

THE MORE FLEXIBILITY IN CREATING DATA SETS, QUERIES AND THEIR CORRESPONDING RESULTS THE BETTER.

FOR NOW I DO NOT NEED REAL-TIME DATA FEED BUT IT WILL BE BETTER IF THE SOFTWARE HAS THAT CAPABILITY, BUT I ALSO WANT TO BE ABLE TO ENTER IN DATA MANUALLY.

How do I go about this? I'll appreciate any guidance I can get on this, including the tools that I can use to set this up. I already have Dreamweaver though but I'm new to it. I guess I'll need a back-end software where data will be stored and mined from, and then an application that does the mining, and then displays on the web interface.

I want this website to stand out due to VARIED QUERIES (INCLUDING COMPARISONS) that can be submitted and the results generated in form TREND GRAPHS, CHARTS, REPORTS, etc.

I believe this is called data mining.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

You aren't going to get this with HTML alone. Some other software is going to have to be continually updating your files (or you are going to have to do it manually - security may proihibit this).

1. Have a set of charts stored on your server as image files, and pick the correct one according to what link the user (or PHP and MySQL) chooses.

The hard part is the source of the charts. I can't find any scripting languages that can create graphics.

Maybe you can find a general purpose programming language your ISP host lets you use that makes charts. Or you can make them with Excel and upload them.

Either way, you aren't going to get this with programs bought off the shelf. It's going to take some programming.

Certain I made a post to this the other day!

Try looking up JPGraph.
It's php, and will take data values and generate graphs from it.

In regards to the site, you are going to need to build your own DB system with Input forms, some form of Feed receiver and input conversion, a searchfunction (query) and then build display pages that will either show the results of searches, or of data-sets which will generate the graph.

If you are new to this, you are in for a very rough,tiring, frustrating time filled with a lot of swearing....
but
you will learn a ton of things, develop amazing skill over a short time and get one of the biggest buzzs of your life with a little success.

Personally, think hard aobut doing this project - either you will need to build it from scratch (a lot of learning), or use something else asa start point and modify it (probably jsut as much learning!).

I use Xaraya, and know that it has DynamicData that lets you build your own tables, supports basic queries through the CMS, handles XML feeds etc...
Something like that may help - but seriously, this is ot what I would call a "starter" package.

best of luck though.

He posted it thrice in different forums.

Ah - Well, I'm not gonna respond to all of them ;)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.