i want to make a hotkeys app ...

i need to detect keystrokes even if the form is not active so that by pressing a button i can launh the calculator.... or games and stuff like that...

any ideas ?

Thank you

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

One way to do this, Register you hot key in Registry. Or Hook the Keyboard Procedure. The second one is hard.

can you write an example of the code needed to do this because i dont understand this by reading it in the msdn....

Thank you

I give example using Win32 API. You have to refer it. I am not sure it is error free. But just try
Draw a form and Try this code. Run the Project. Press Ctrl + Alt + Up Arrow

Public Enum HotKeyModifiers As Integer
        MOD_ALT = &H1
        MOD_CONTROL = &H2
        MOD_SHIFT = &H4
        MOD_WIN = &H8
    End Enum
    Private Const WM_HOTKEY As Integer = &H312
    Public Declare Auto Function RegisterHotKey Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal id As Integer, ByVal fsModifiers As Integer, ByVal vk As Integer) As Boolean
    Public Declare Auto Function UnregisterHotKey Lib "user32" (ByVal hWnd As IntPtr, ByVal id As Integer) As Boolean

Private Sub Form1_Load(ByVal sender As System.Object, ByVal e As System.EventArgs) Handles MyBase.Load
        RegisterHotKey(Me.Handle, 1020, HotKeyModifiers.MOD_ALT Or HotKeyModifiers.MOD_CONTROL, Keys.Up)
    End Sub

Private Sub Form1_FormClosing(ByVal sender As Object, ByVal e As System.Windows.Forms.FormClosingEventArgs) Handles Me.FormClosing
        UnregisterHotKey(Me.Handle, 1020)
    End Sub

Protected Overrides Sub WndProc(ByRef m As System.Windows.Forms.Message)
        MyBase.WndProc(m)
        If (m.Msg = WM_HOTKEY) Then
            Dim hotKeyId As Integer = m.WParam.ToInt32()
            If hotKeyId = 1020 Then
                MsgBox("Hot Key Pressed")
            End If
        End If
    End Sub

Great code

Thank you .... that helped a lot...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.