Hi, first of thanks for this site, I am new and you are great and if I'm not posting in the right place please forgive me. The problem started in the afternoon when I tried to check hotmail it was fine in the morning. Now I can't access hotmail from MSN explorer or Internet Explorer or Outlook.Everything else on the MSN website works and so do all other sites including Yahoo. I did everyrthing I could fine that was recommended to do, clearing history, deleting cookies, removed IE and MSN and reloaded it etc. Anyway I downloaded another web browser OPERA yesterday and hotmail works fine although it hasn't solved the problem in IE. Also I did hijack this today and this is what came up, it is the first time I've run it :
Logfile of HijackThis v1.99.0
Scan saved at 12:27:11 PM, on 12/24/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Firewall\PavFires.exe
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
D:\Program Files\Winamp3\winampa.exe
D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Mounter.exe
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE
D:\Program Files\Common files\SearchUpgrader\SearchUpgrader.exe
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
D:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
F:\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
E:\Program Files\Webshots\webshots.scr
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavProxy.exe
D:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\AVENGINE.EXE
D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Bar = http://g.msn.com/0SEENUS/SAOS01
R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank
R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00D6A7E7-4A97-456f-848A-3B75BF7554D7} - (no file)
O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - D:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - D:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "D:\Program Files\Winamp3\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mustek MDC 3000] D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Mounter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SCANINICIO] "D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Inicio.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APVXDWIN] "D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchUpgrader] D:\Program Files\Common files\SearchUpgrader\SearchUpgrader.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] D:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Instant Access] rundll32.exe EGCOMLIB_1031.dll,InstantAccess
O4 - Startup: Webshots.lnk = E:\Program Files\Webshots\Launcher.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = F:\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: @D:\Program Files\Messenger\Msgslang.dll,-61144 - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @D:\Program Files\Messenger\Msgslang.dll,-61144 - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111123} - file://c:\Recycled\1.exe
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yah...nst20040510.cab
O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/261ea77...ip/RdxIE601.cab
O16 - DPF: {5D9E4B6D-CD17-4D85-99D4-6A52B394EC3B} (WSDownloader Control) - http://www.webshots.com/samplers/WSDownloader.ocx
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{C0D2CAF1-161D-44D7-92A7-530B40F57461}: NameServer = 192.168.20.1 192.168.20.3
O19 - User stylesheet: (file missing)
O23 - Service: Panda Firewall Service - Unknown - D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Firewall\PavFires.exe
O23 - Service: Panda anti-virus service - Unknown - D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe

And I didn't delete anything because I'm not sure what it all means but if you have any help I will love you for it, I have spent 3 days on the web trying to find the solution with no avail except for the OPERA option.
Thanks and Merry Christmas to you,
Danielle.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

If those are processes running on your machine you need to eliminate a lot of them. Many of those are unnecessary. You need to go into your computer's startup and uncheck the boxes of programs you do not recognize or do not use. I also recommend not using IE. The majority of the viruses, pop-ups etc that exist out there target IE. I would use Mozilla. To change you startup:

click start
then run
type "msconfig in the box"
then click on the startup tab
uncheck the appropriate boxe and then restart

I would also recommend installing Norton or some other virus checker with its most recent virus definitions and performing a full system scan. It will point out possible threats(or should depending on the virus checker). I think IE is the least of your problems!!! get mozilla

I would also recommend installing Norton or some other virus checker with its most recent virus definitions and performing a full system scan. It will point out possible threats(or should depending on the virus checker). I think IE is the least of your problems!!! get mozilla

The poster is using the Panda virus scanning software.

I posting this response eventhough its in the wrong section of the fourm ,,giving the season and how busy everyone is .a moderator can move it later

Have Hijack This fix the following by placing a check in the appropriate boxes and selecting fix checked. Make sure all browser and all Windows Explorer windows are closed before fixing.

R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,HomeOldSP = about:blank

R3 - URLSearchHook: (no name) - {00D6A7E7-4A97-456f-848A-3B75BF7554D7} - (no file)

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SearchUpgrader] D:\Program Files\Common files\SearchUpgrader\SearchUpgrader.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Instant Access] rundll32.exe EGCOMLIB_1031.dll,InstantAccess

this one is optional but recomended as its a rescource hogg and not needed at startup.

O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = D:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\OSA.EXE

O16 - DPF: {11111111-1111-1111-1111-111111111123} - file://c:\Recycled\1.exe

O16 - DPF: {56336BCB-3D8A-11D6-A00B-0050DA18DE71} (RdxIE Class) - http://software-dl.real.com/261ea77...ip/RdxIE601.cab

O19 - User stylesheet: (file missing)

Now reboot into safe mode and delete the following files and folders if found .

D:\Program Files\Common files\SearchUpgrader,,,,,,delete this folder and its content .

011145.exe
egcomlib_1031.dll
egcomlib_pack.inf
egcomlib2.dll
instant access.lnk
,,,,,,,,,,search for and delete th these files if present

to delete the above files and folder you will need to do the following
go to
Show hidden files & folders

"Fix Checked"...Reboot to SAFE mode to delete files
How to start computer in safe mode

reboot computer and post a new log

This process will clean out your Temp files and your Temporary Internet Files. Please do both steps:

Step 1:Delete Temp Files
To clean out your temp files, click on Start and then run, and type %temp% and press the ok button.

This should open up the temp directory that your machine uses. Please delete all files that are found there. If you get an error when deleting a file, skip that file and delete all the others. If you had trouble deleting a file, reboot into Safe Mode and follow this step again. You should now be able to delete all the files.

Step 2: Delete Temporary Internet Files
Now I want you to open up Internet Explorer, and click on the Tools menu and then Internet Options. At the General tab, which should be the first tab you are currently on, click on the Delete Files button and put a checkmark in Delete offline content. Then press the OK button. This may take quite a while, so do not be alarmed with how long it takes. When it is done, your Temporary Internet Files will now be deleted.

also empty your recycle bin ,
good luck.

Now that you are clean, please follow these simple steps in order to keep your computer clean and secure:

1. Use an AntiVirus Software - It is very important that your computer has an anti-virus software running on your machine. This alone can save you a lot of trouble with malware in the future.

See this link for a listing of some online & their stand-alone antivirus programs:

Virus, Spyware, and Malware Protection and Removal Resources

2. Update your AntiVirus Software - It is imperitive that you update your Antivirus software at least once a week (Even more if you wish). If you do not update your antivirus software then it will not be able to catch any of the new variants that may come out.
  3. Use a Firewall - I can not stress how important it is that you use a Firewall on your computer. Without a firewall your computer is succeptible to being hacked and taken over. I am very serious about this and see it happen almost every day with my clients. Simply using a Firewall in its default configuration can lower your risk greatly.

For a tutorial on Firewalls and a listing of some available ones see the link below:

Understanding and Using Firewalls

4. Visit Microsoft's Windows Update Site Frequently - It is important that you visit http://www.windowsupdate.com regularly. This will ensure your computer has always the latest security updates available installed on your computer. If there are new updates to install, install them immediately, reboot your computer, and revisit the site until there are no more critical updates.
  5. Install Spybot - Search and Destroy - Install and download Spybot - Search and Destroy with its TeaTimer option. This will provide realtime spyware & hijacker protection on your computer alongside your virus protection. You should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software.

A tutorial on installing & using this product can be found here:

Using Spybot - Search & Destroy to remove Spyware , Malware, and Hijackers

6. Install Ad-Aware - Install and download Ad-Aware. ou should also scan your computer with program on a regular basis just as you would an antivirus software in conjunction with Spybot.

Using Ad-aware to remove Spyware, Malware, & Hijackers from Your Computer

7. Install SpywareBlaster - SpywareBlaster will added a large list of programs and sites into your Internet Explorer settings that will protect you from running and downloading known malicious programs.

Using SpywareBlaster to protect your computer from Spyware and Malware

8. Update all these programs regularly - Make sure you update all the programs I have listed regularly. Without regular updates you WILL NOT be protected when new malicious programs are released.

Follow this list and your potential for being infected again will reduce dramatically.

Glad I was able to help.

Hi and thanks for you time, enjoy.
Well I did everuthing you suggested here's the new HJT log :
Platform: Windows XP SP2 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP2 (6.00.2900.2180)

Running processes:
D:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\winlogon.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
D:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Firewall\PavFires.exe
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\AVENGINE.EXE
D:\Program Files\Winamp3\winampa.exe
D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Mounter.exe
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE
D:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
D:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
D:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
F:\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
D:\WINDOWS\system32\wscntfy.exe
D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavProxy.exe
C:\unzipped\hijackthis\HijackThis.exe

O2 - BHO: Yahoo! Companion BHO - {02478D38-C3F9-4efb-9B51-7695ECA05670} - D:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - D:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 6.0\Reader\ActiveX\AcroIEHelper.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - D:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: Yahoo! Toolbar - {EF99BD32-C1FB-11D2-892F-0090271D4F88} - D:\Program Files\Yahoo!\Companion\Installs\cpn0\ycomp5_5_5_0.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [PCTVOICE] pctspk.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [WinampAgent] "D:\Program Files\Winamp3\winampa.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Mustek MDC 3000] D:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\Mounter.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SCANINICIO] "D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Inicio.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [APVXDWIN] "D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\APVXDWIN.EXE" /s
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "D:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe" -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SunJavaUpdateSched] D:\Program Files\Java\j2re1.4.2_06\bin\jusched.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [CTFMON.EXE] D:\WINDOWS\system32\ctfmon.exe
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = F:\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://D:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\Office10\EXCEL.EXE/3000
O9 - Extra button: (no name) - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Sun Java Console - {08B0E5C0-4FCB-11CF-AAA5-00401C608501} - D:\WINDOWS\System32\msjava.dll
O9 - Extra button: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Yahoo! Messenger - {E5D12C4E-7B4F-11D3-B5C9-0050045C3C96} - D:\PROGRA~1\YAHOO!\MESSEN~1\YPAGER.EXE (file missing)
O9 - Extra button: @D:\Program Files\Messenger\Msgslang.dll,-61144 - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: @D:\Program Files\Messenger\Msgslang.dll,-61144 - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - D:\Program Files\Messenger\msmsgs.exe
O16 - DPF: {0E5F0222-96B9-11D3-8997-00104BD12D94} (PCPitstop Utility) - http://www.pcpitstop.com/pcpitstop/PCPitStop.CAB
O16 - DPF: {30528230-99F7-4BB4-88D8-FA1D4F56A2AB} (YInstStarter Class) - http://us.dl1.yimg.com/download.yahoo.com/dl/installs/yinst20040510.cab
O23 - Service: Panda Firewall Service - Unknown - D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\Firewall\PavFires.exe
O23 - Service: Panda anti-virus service - Unknown - D:\Program Files\Panda Software\Panda Antivirus Platinum\pavsrv51.exe

So I tried to use hotmail and it still comes up blank on IE and MSN so who knows what to do now, it is working in the OPERA browser fine, please let me know if you have any further advise, by the way, I know I'm not supposed to post the HJT logs in here but I am answering to you so I thought it would be OK, sorry if it's against the flow of things and thanks again :)

I have had exactly the same problem.

I have literally just fixed it by downloading IE6.0 from microsoft web site :lol: This is a very annoying problem but easily fixed. I have been without MSN Hotmail for about 5 days now.

It must be old Bill Gates trying to pry people out of IE5. :evil:

Should have upgraded ages ago but never thought i needed to.

Give this a shot and see what happens for you.

Fieldy

Hi there,
I am sooooooo happy to say that I have hotmail on IE and MSN again.
I followed all the steps from the good people on this forum to clean out my computer but the hotmail problem wasn't solved I recieved this email from MSN support and followed it and voila hotmail is back in action so I have posted it for one and all :
I hope you have good fortune too :

Danielle, please follow the steps below to address issues where MSN Hotmail does not properly load.
I. Check for firewall or filtering software interference
Look for an icon in the notification area on the right side of the taskbar (near the clock) for firewall or filtering software. If there is one, right click on it to check its properties.

If you are encountering difficulties signing in to MSN when you have the firewall enabled, we suggest that you contact the software manufacturer for assistance with configuring it to function with MSN.

Here are some of the most popular firewall programs and their contact information:

1. McAfee Personal Firewall - 1-900-454-6223
2. Norton Internet Security - 1-800-441-7234
3. Black Ice Defender - http://blackice.iss.net/customer_support.php
4. Zone Alarm - http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/contact.jsp;jsessionid
II. Optimize Internet Explorer settings:

1. Click ‘Start’, ‘Run’ then type: ‘iexplore’ (without apostrophes)
2. Click ‘Tools’, ‘Internet Options’
3. Under General, click:

a. ‘Delete Cookies’, ‘OK’
b. ‘Delete Files’, ‘Delete all offline contents’, ‘OK’
c. ‘Clear History’, ‘Yes’
d. ‘Settings’, Adjust the amount to 300 MB, ‘OK’

4. Under Security, click ‘Internet’, ‘Default Level’, then ‘Apply’
5. Click ‘Privacy’, ‘Default’, then Apply
6. Under Content, click ‘AutoComplete’, ‘Clear Forms’, ‘Clear Passwords’ then ‘OK’
7. Under Connections, do the following: (skip these if you are using DSL)

a. Select the connection in the Dial-up and Virtual Private Network settings
b. Click ‘Settings’, uncheck all of the checkboxes, ‘OK’
c. Click ‘LAN Settings’, uncheck all of the checkboxes, ‘OK’

8. Under Advanced, click ‘Restore Default’, ‘Apply’, then ‘OK’
III. If the issue persists, please update Internet Explorer.

1. Connect to the Internet
2. Click ‘Start’, ‘Run’, then type: ‘iexplore’ (without apostrophes)
3. Download the updated version of Internet Explorer by going to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=1e1550cb-5e5d-48f5-b02b-20b602228de6&DisplayLang=en
4. Click ‘Download’

OPTION 2:

1. Connect to the Internet
2. Click ‘Start’, ‘Run’, then type: ‘iexplore’ (without apostrophes)
3. Go to http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/
4. Click on 'Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1' then click 'Download' button

The above information should help address your issue. If you have other concerns, please contact us again and we would be glad to assist you further.

Thank you for writing to MSN Internet Access Technical Support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.