Hi,

I've got a Comapq Evo laptop and the 'function' key is locked on whenever I boot up Win 2k.

All keys type with their special characters, although holding in the Fn key reverts them back to normal - wrong way around!

I can temporarily fix this by plugging in a PS2 keyboard, which works fine. Then, when I unplug the keyboard, the laptop keys revert to normal (ie no function key lock!)

Any tips on how I can tell the PC to do this all the time, as I don't want to have to plug in a keyboard to "clear its' memory" every time.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Felipe

Wow, that's a weird problem. The only idea I can come up with is to check the BIOS for an option to always turn that key on/off.

it might have something to do with the Num lock key. i just figured it out with my laptop. i had turned on numlock on the ps/2 keyboard, then it was stuck on Fn on my compact laptop. so shutoff numluck and that might help

Hi Felipe- did you ever find an answer to the locked function key/ I am hav5ng sa0e problem...help!

Hi,

I've got a Comapq Evo laptop and the 'function' key is locked on whenever I boot up Win 2k.

All keys type with their special characters, although holding in the Fn key reverts them back to normal - wrong way around!

I can temporarily fix this by plugging in a PS2 keyboard, which works fine. Then, when I unplug the keyboard, the laptop keys revert to normal (ie no function key lock!)

Any tips on how I can tell the PC to do this all the time, as I don't want to have to plug in a keyboard to "clear its' memory" every time.

Thanks in advance for any advice. Felipe

ooops just saw this, thanks that was it!! number lock took care of it -thanks again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.