When the first netbooks arive I had an idea. I would use it as expected as a portable computer for browse or other stuff low performence stuff.

BUT when I am at home, would use it as a home server. I would boot it from a SD card or CD and plugin a USB-HDD drive. Due to low energy consuption and noise it would be a good "home" server, storage centre running 24/7 with a good UPS :D

So I would have both a good portable device and also a little server. Due to different boot devices/storage I would not have to do any "special" modification when going out or returning.

my netbook is a piece of crap. The charger port has pushed in so far the charger needs to be held in, the battery is shotty and I need a new one. I respect the power of them however, and because they're so inexpensive they're great for tinkering around with the operating system(s) and great for checking cross-platform portability of programs.

What is your netbook brand? Maybe you should try going for a laptop if the netbook does not suits you.

it's an Acer Aspire One, I would love it if it wasn't for the charger port issue and the "broken" battery.

Lol, so your netbook was not totally crap after all;)

my netbook is a piece of crap. The charger port has pushed in so far the charger needs to be held in, the battery is shotty and I need a new one. I respect the power of them however, and because they're so inexpensive they're great for tinkering around with the operating system(s) and great for checking cross-platform portability of programs.

I think it's not the netbook that is crappy like Jingda said. It was manufacturer fault and you need to RMA it for replacement. If you just bought it, then you don't need to pay extra cash for it except for charges to send your netbook to Acer.

Just adding to what flagstar said about. I have never use an Acer product before but from one I heard the parts tend to wear down easily. If you like a netbook, why not go for a lenovo one. Lenovo hardware is known to be better and is the third largest computer manufacturer in the world.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.