I recently acquired a positively ancient IBM ps/note 425 and i was hoping i could get it running at the very least windows 95 or 2000. Of course, i do not expect to do this with the current hardware or software current in the unit itself, however i would appreciate some help getting started and some of the logistics required to complete such a task.
Here are some Tech Specs

IBM ps/note 425

Processor: 80486SL
BIOS Revision: 06/07/93 (AF4US1A)[Not sure if thats important]
Memory: 8000KB

Video Controller / Memory: CT-65530 / 512 KB

Hard Disk: 127 MB
Diskette Drive A: 1.44 MB 3.5"

Thats really all the info i have on her, besides the fact she has a B&W screen and windows 3.1.

Now ive already compiled a list of things i may need to do to this unit to get it running windows 95 to 2000 but i would really appreciate some input as to if this is even feasible.

1. Needs a new CMOS Battery (Easy)
2. Ram Upgrade
3. Drive Upgrade
4. New Color LCD
5. Additional USB Ports?
6. Sound Card

This is the list i have so far, however i do not even know if i have the ability to do such things to this laptop or not. I need types of compatible ram, the drives themselves need to be compatible(im hoping my 20 gb sata drive i have lying around will work) LCD compatibility with the video card etc etc... if anyone could give me a hand at getting started i would really appreciate it. Especially so, since i cant even seem to find an owners manual or technical specifications online, thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

cant be done imho

simple and not too elegant, i like your answer, in the end if this is the only answer i can find i will probably just build myself my own laptop from scratch and use the housing hows that for a second option?

building laptops from scrach is generally impossible. The cases are not standard and all the dimensions and connectors are different for each model. Its not like in a desktop where you can get generic components.

the laptop has no value now and will have none when you finish ,first you may/will never find a color lcd to fit it ,the amount of ram you could add would be minimal ,it might take a 8gig hdd at best .spend you money on buying one a little better, if money is tight save it up till you have enough, instead of wasting it on this laptop ..my opinion

I just bought a Compaq P2 333, for $63.00 canadian on line ,that about as much as its worth ,but i will sell it for $150.00 ,because there is a market in my area for them ,fishermen use them to run maps/charts and GPS devices ,that all nothing else !.

eh wishfull thinking, i didnt truly know the limits of technology here so please excuse my ignorance... i just needed to know if it was possible, because if it was id find a way to do it, since your saying its not obviously im not going to try cause that would just be stupid thanks

eh wishfull thinking, i didnt truly know the limits of technology here so please excuse my ignorance... i just needed to know if it was possible, because if it was id find a way to do it, since your saying its not obviously im not going to try cause that would just be stupid thanks

Good decision .

now i just gotta figure out what im giong to do with it, because it seems to me like you thought i was going to purchase it. I got it from someone who no longer needed it (painfully obvious now) and i was just figuring out what i could do with it... thanks

now i just gotta figure out what im giong to do with it, because it seems to me like you thought i was going to purchase it. I got it from someone who no longer needed it (painfully obvious now) and i was just figuring out what i could do with it... thanks

no I figured you got it for nothing ,where i live there is a fee to throw out computer parts now so i will most likely be called on more to see if i want ,this or that ,from people who know i fix/sell used computers .someone just gave me a pentium 166 ,obsolete, I know ,but i will sell it to a guy for $40.00 this week because he only need it for e-mail

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.