hey yall, ive got a bit of experience building pcs, this is my 3rd for myself, but this is the first time im using sata drives.

my problem is that when i get to the install for vista the damned pc wont boot from the vista dvd. i even tried it with XP and it wont boot from there either. it ALWAYS wants me to boot from a floppy(i still have my old one hooked up for just such a reason).

nother problem is that since i cant boot from the cd/dvd i do it from the floppy. and once its booted from the floppy it wont let me switch to the dvd/cd rom to start the windows install.

can anyone give me a hand with this. ive been workin on it for a good 3 days and its starting to drive me insane

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

use nlite (i think vlite is the vista version?) to slipstream the chipset drivers (sata controller) into a new OS image.

I did that to get XP to work with my SCSI RAID. before i needed to hit F(6?) and use floppies

thanks a lot for the information, but sadly. i have no idea what you ment. could you do me a favor and break that down to 'dummy talk' for me.

but aside from that ive found out that my system will not under any cercumstances boot from the dvd drive.

id apreciate any further help you can give

use nlite (i think vlite is the vista version?) to slipstream the chipset drivers (sata controller) into a new OS image.

I did that to get XP to work with my SCSI RAID. before i needed to hit F(6?) and use floppies

i think you missed the point on that one, poster said he cant get it to boot from the dvd drive !!! there for cant get it to boot to the Vista dvd disk .not a Sata driver problem yet!!!

t
but aside from that ive found out that my system will not under any cercumstances boot from the dvd drive.

id apreciate any further help you can give

did you go into the bios to set the dvd rom as the first boot device ,or is it a external usb dvd rom device .

same as caper said. Also is the a full version of vista or an upgrade. is it retailed or made by you.

thanks a lot for all your help but i managed to stumble onto a solution.

just on seer desperation i plugged in a USB dvdrom and it booted from vista from there. odd i know, but it worked.

so again, thank you all very much for your help

i still would like know if you went into the bios to change the boot order !! thanks

i still would like know if you went into the bios to change the boot order !! thanks

actually no. i changed it at the beginning of this whole process so that the cd/dvd rom would boot first then the hdd. so that had no real effect on the outcome, when it wasnt working that is.

actually no. i changed it at the beginning of this whole process so that the cd/dvd rom would boot first then the hdd. so that had no real effect on the outcome, when it wasnt working that is.

thank you .

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.