Hi, Im fairly new to video cards and I want to be able to run games like "World In conflict" and "Crysis." I know I need a PCI compatible video card but Im not sure which one to get. Im looking for a price range of $60-$120 and I'm hoping to find one on sale at Best Buy or Circuit City one of these days and I also want to be sure it will be able to run on my computer...Any Help would be greatly appreciated.

I run an: T3958 eMachines D845GVSR Motherboard

Thanks,
Mark

Recommended Answers

All 17 Replies

Best to look up those games on the web and read their requirements/recommendations then choose a card accordingly..

no PCI cards can run crysis - you would need a pci express one - doe your pc have pci express?

also crysis needs a very good pc and card, $120 wont be enough. you would be talking ~$300 - ~$500

For such a budget you can look at this EVGA GeForce 8600GT GDDR3 Video Card

no he cant because:

looks like that board has onboard intel video,no pci-e or even AGP slot .

buy a new pc.

I need to agree with Bennet here, there is no upgrade possibility on your mainboard (except replacing your mainboard)

If you are thinking of a new computer always get SLi possibility on your mainboard for games like Crysis... I have had a 8600GT card... but 1 wasn't enough to have normal gameplay experience... now since 2 weeks I have the Nvidia 9600GT in SLi and now I can run it!!!

no PCI cards can run crysis - you would need a pci express one - doe your pc have pci express?

also crysis needs a very good pc and card, $120 wont be enough. you would be talking ~$300 - ~$500

I play Crysis just fine thank you. My MoBo is pci and my graphics card cost about $140. Granted getting a 8000 series would improve things a lot - I do get some stuttering when I am cloaked and in the middle of an NKA squad but I generally snipe (also, I don't play on-line -- I barely have enough time in my life for what I do now, I don't think I could handle learning team tactics). I am at the upper limit of what my machine can do -- I put it together to play half-life 2, then found FarCry and am now playing Crysis and F.E.A.R.

what card do you have?

my radeon x1950 pro 512mb pci-express barely runs crysis on low

I have a G-force 7300GT/512meg AGP -- I would fire up Crysis to check on settings but right now I am having a crisis of my own, my dvd player will see my XP disk but won't see any of my game disks (&^$)(&*(&^&^$%) - er, darn. If I can't solve this, I will probably post in the storage area.

its the copy protection

you either have a) a blacklisted application installed (some .iso tools ad burning softwre)
b) your drive is not supported

my drive in my dell doesnt read COD4 or C&C3 so i had to buy a new one

its the copy protection

you either have a) a blacklisted application installed (some .iso tools ad burning softwre)
b) your drive is not supported

my drive in my dell doesnt read COD4 or C&C3 so i had to buy a new one

Jbennet, I am not sure I understand:
a) blacklisted app - something related to the game? (btw - this happens for both fear and Crysis), or is this more general? .iso is an image file correct? I do have a couple of cd and dvd burning progs.

b) i played for quite a while before this started.

Inserted the following disks:
XP - found
A8V mb - found
airlink router disk - found
F.E.A.R. - light blink a lot - drive thinks it is empty
FarCry - found
Crysis - light blinks a lot - sucked up most of non-memory resources, Event Services says "The driver detected a controller error on \device\\cdrom0"
Unreal tournament - 2004 - lights - disk not found
FarCry - found (just to make sure)

Sigh! It does not want me wasting time playing games, I guess (or at least the games I want to play)

oh right thats wierd

generally problems like that are because the copy protection is incompatible with the drive or it detects things which may be used to circumvent it.

but its odd that it ran it before.....

try uninstall drive in device manager and reboot to reinstall the drive ,also make sure that the disks are not dirty

hmmm, couldn't upgrading firmware be a simpler solution??

try uninstall drive in device manager and reboot to reinstall the drive ,also make sure that the disks are not dirty

Thanks, caperjack - that got me my dvd player back <<dope slap - D'Oh!>>. It also seemed to fix a different problem I had but that needs further research.

jbennet - I will get my Crysis config shortly.

your welcome ,sometime its the simple stuff!

hmmm, couldn't upgrading firmware be a simpler solution??

giving that a bad or update with the wrong firmware or computer shutdown in the middle of the update ,could ruin the dvd drive ,i will have to say no!it is much easier to uninstall the device

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.