Hi guys,

I just built a desktop PC that I was SO excited about because I thought it was going to blow everything away. I was a little disappointed (perhaps unrightly so).

Before I tell you what the problem is, I'll say that i haven't received my wireless network adapter in the mail yet, and so I haven't been able to actually log on to the internet so that I can get my score from 3d MARK (it only gives you your score online if you have basic).

The FIRST problem: I ran 3dmark on my computer and it reached 1fps in the test with the huge fort in the middle of the huge mountain, with the little trench-like roads in the valley with very small jeeps fighting each other (you know what i'm talking about?). I was disappointed very much (please see my specs below to see why I was disappointed).

The Second problem:
When I first set up the computer, whenever I would turn it off, it would beep continuously (just one continuous beep like your boiling water was ready) and it would not turn off, just sits there beeping that one continuous beep.

Then after a while it started only doing that when I exit and save from the setup that comes up at startup (is that called the bios?), it does save my changes and everything, it just doesn't turn off or restart, and sits there beeping until i either hold the power button long enough to turn it off or click the PSU power button.

What is described in the last paragraph is what is happening now.

I hope someone could decipher what that the beep means, and what if anything I am doing wrong such that my computer(which should just completely rock if I understand what the words 8800GTX and 6400+ mean correctly) is not doing so well on that one test (or maybe that test is not even testing for frame rate? I don't know. I will know what my 3dmark '06 score was when I get my wireless adapter and connect online in a couple of days.

The THIRD question: P.S. a third question: Am I right to expect this machine to be a beast?

Here's the computer I just built:

ASUS M2R32-MVP AM2 AMD 580X CrossFire ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 6400+ Windsor 3.2GHz Socket AM2 125W Dual-Core Processor Model ADX6400CZBOX - Retail

G.SKILL 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Model F2-6400CL6S-2GBMQ - Retail

BFG Tech BFGR88768GTXOCE GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card - Retail

ATI Radeon HD 2600 XT 512MB PCIe w/Dual Link DVI
Belkin Wireless G Plus MIMO USB Adapter - Network adapter - Hi-Speed USB - 802.11b, 802.11g, IEEE 802.11g+ (COMING IN MAIL)

PSU BFG|PC SYSTEM BFGR650PSU 650W R - Retail

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD4000AAKS 400GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive

LG L206WTY-BF Black 20" 2ms Widescreen LCD Monitor W/ f-Engine

LG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner Black IDE Model GH22NP20

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

I've done everything... it keeps doing the same thing... i removed all the chassis plugins like for extra usb and sound in front etc... I replugged every single thing back in tightly, I cleared the cmos, nothing... please someone help!
It still beeps one continuous beep when I exist setup that comes at startup (if you keep clicking delete) and it doesn't restart or turn off... it DOES save my changes, but i have to turn it off manually to stop the beep... then I start it and it runs normally... the only problem is when I exit that setup it makes that noise... normally it turns off normal, restarts normal no problems.

I would just ignore it, but i don't want to have something wrong with my computer and two days from now my graphics card or MB or processor or whatever gets burned!!

i am putting on hold using this computer until i find a solution...

Thanks.

It still beeps one continuous beep when I exist setup that comes at startup
Thanks.

what setup,[do you mean the Bios setup] and why are you entering it startup all the time .

hehe, yes the bios setup...

I'm not entering it all the time. The first time I ran my system, it said time wrong bluh bluh enter setup to fix it... so I did and when I exited with save settings, it saved my settings and didn't restart or shutdown, just sat there blank screen with a long continuous beep...

Now, I keep entering it because i don't want to use the computer before i fix the problem the beep is indicating.

I actually did figure it out somewhat. I took out the gtx 8800 and put my ATI instead... PROBLEM SOLVED!

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT, why on earth is it doing that? Why does my gtx 8800 cause the motherboard or bios or whatever it is to beep when I exit the bios? Does that mean there is something wrong with it?

A 650W PSU should be enough for my system right? It couldn't be beeping cause of need for more power?

I just tried putting my ATI graphics card as primary and the GTX 8800 as secondary, and still the same problem

I just tried putting my ATI graphics card as primary and the GTX 8800 as secondary, and still the same problem

maybe the gtx isn't compatible with the motherboard ,did it ever work properly, you computer is actually to new for me ,what i work on/own and fix are all a lot older .don't know much about pci-E

actually it works perfectly fine... just when I exit the bios, it does that continuous beep with a blank screen and I have to turn it off manually..
The problem is that I am afraid if I ignore this problem it will burn something in my pc so that's why I wanna get to the bottom of it before starting to use this pc

because its new i would check with the motherboard manufacture ,before you do harm something

Im jealous thats great specs.lol.my best recommendation is to check what the manufacturer recommends for the board. Ill rather keep my opinions,dont wanna be responsible for something bad.

Im jealous thats great specs.lol.my best recommendation is to check what the manufacturer recommends for the board. Ill rather keep my opinions,dont wanna be responsible for something bad.

echo echo echo

i have a board that continues to beep when the cpu overheats, and stops when its cool again.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.