hello,

i have a dell inspiron 1000 running xp. the problem is that my laptop keeps randomly shutting off while on battery power.when i plug it back in i get this message "battery recalibration warning,your battery needs to be re-calibrated press f1 to boot to os or press f6 to run battery recalibration utility",is f6 the way to go ?i went with f1 logged on and took my laptop off the charger at 100% estimated time to shut down was 30 minute..sobs.. so should i go with f6 this is the logical thing to do right? i have been reading about battery recalibration ..... charge it all the way to 100%,unplug let run totally down on battery power ,then re-charge to 100% and this should solve problem? i don't know what to do but 30 min. off time at 100% wont work for me. maybe i should just buy a new battery. well any help would be a life saver.

thanks..... faygo_man

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

my opinion ,a battery that only holds a 30 min charge is about dead ! time for a good new one

I believe that the Dell Inspiron 1000 came on the market in 2004. If this is the original battery with the laptop than it is time to replace it. I believe that the Dell Inspiron 1000 came with a 8-cell NiMH battery in it's cheapest configuration. This cheap battery type was never meant to last forever.

I have a problem too with my Compaq Presario F755.
It starts and works, showing no problem at all. But after a variable duration of time of around 15-25 minutes, it powers off automatically, not giving any prompt. I have Windows Vista premium home edition in it. Please help me diagnose the problem and the solution.

For the first guy. Buy a new battery, they aren't very expensive and you can get one with more cells that will last longer.

For the second guy Mr Danishtahir87 Check you power options in vista and make sure they are set to conserve power in battery mode. you can also turn the brightness of your screen down. If that doesn't work you also may need a new battery.

thanx jermaghs07 for replying....
Sir, i think there is no problem with the battery because...I operated the laptop with the battery removed and laptop running directly on power, but the problem still occured...

thanx jermaghs07 for replying....
Sir, i think there is no problem with the battery because...I operated the laptop with the battery removed and laptop running directly on power, but the problem still occured...

Does it just completely power off instantly or does it follow the shutdown procedure and log you off then shut down?

I have the same problem with my 755 and it just completely powers off. No warning, just all of a sudden it's gone almost like it's a desktop and the power went out. It's happened to me running on batter or AC, and I also have 2 different batteries and it's happened on both (both batteries have a good life one is 2 hours and the other is an extended and lasts from 4 to 5 hours). Any suggestions?

This could be a plethora of different problems. it could be an overheating issue, or it could be a number of hardware issues.

My suggestion is, get as much info as you can off your hard drive and buy a new laptop. laptops are a dime a dozen these days.

you have to use new battery.

Good Luck

Go to support.dell.com. Search on "Recalibrate Battery"

You will get two responses. The first is:

<< Start Dell Support >>
1. Batteries do not have to be fully discharged periodically like the older
notebook batteries did.

No. The new lithium-ion batteries do not acquire a false memory of the
charge level and do not have to be fully discharged periodically like the
older notebook batteries did.

You may need to recalibrate the battery from time to time. Recalibrating the
battery maintains the accuracy of the main-battery indicator on the status
display panel, the charge gauge on the main battery, and the battery status
icon. The following message prompts you when it is time to recalibrate the
battery:

"You must recalibrate the battery to maintain the accuracy of the battery
status indicators."

NOTE: You do not have to recalibrate the battery immediately. However, the
longer you delay, the less accurate the battery status indicators become.
The message appears each time you boot the computer until you have
recalibrated the main battery.

To recalibrate the main battery, attach the AC adapter to the computer and
leave the computer on. You may continue working while the recalibration
process goes on. Or, it may be more convenient to let the battery
recalibrate overnight. During recalibration, the computer completely
discharges the main battery. The main-battery activity indicator in the
status display panel blinks and the bars on the battery status indicator
change to show the changes in the battery's charge level. When recalibration
is completed, the main-battery activity indicator stops blinking and the AC
adapter recharges the battery.

If you are not getting the life that you have been from the battery, you can
download and run the "BATRECAL" utility from the Dell website at:

http://www.dell.com.

This will force a recalibration.
<< End Dell Support>>

I think man its time replace your battery wit new one and you will get out of it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.