Hello friends!

short version- my brand new computer will 'power up' but not much else. fans and hard drive all spin, including the one that attached to the heatsink, which is attached to the mobo. Nothing else looks to be functioning, and cannot powerdown by the power button (I have to flip the switch on the back of the power source)

long version
I just built a new PC with the following specs-

Motherboard: ECS A780GM-A
CPU- AMD Athlon 64 X2 Black Edition (5000)
HSF- Masscool 90mm heatsink with fan
RAM- Gskill DDR2 8000 PC2-6400 1024mb x 2
Graphics Card- Sapphire HD 2600 XT
Hard Drive- 500 gig Seagate 7200 rpm SATA
CD-drive- Lite-On dvd-r/w something or other.
Power source- Antec Earthwatts 500w

following the step by step instructions, i put everything together, crossed my fingers, and pressed the power button, and much to my sad surprise, all the fans, including the CPU heatsink fan and the the casefan powered up, as well as the harddrive. However, nothing else seemed to work, as i got no video signal from either DVI or VGA (both from the onboard port and the graphics card ports...), the CD drive would not open (and no lights came on) and I could not power down via the power button that powered everything up. Normally I just press and hold the power button, but no luck.

This is very frustrating, as it is my first build, so any guidance or help is greatly welcomed. Even any suggestions on where to look, or possible issues would be helpful.

thank you very much
Rich

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

first thig i would try is remove video card and try onboard ,if you haven't all ready done this .also make sure that the connectors for the front panel switch and lights are on correctly
did you put thermal past on the processor before you install the heatsinc and fan

Thanks for such a quick response- since i tried everything, including removing the heatsink, I have to get some thermal compound before i proceed.

I'll let you know this afternoon when i return.

for clarification-

there was a factory thermal paste pre-applied to the heatsink that i used, but since i've unseated it, I need to go get some more.

i tried running w/ just onboard, but no luck there.

The front panel has potential to be the problem. is there a way to bypass the power light? for whatever reason my case came with some weird connectors (Raidmax O2 case), and as such, the power LED connectors do not match up to the on board plug. based on newegg reviews, no one else has had this complaint, so this is probably due to my inexperience that I don't know how to rewire the plug correctly, whether the plug is incorrect at all.

most of the plugs have no space between wiring, but the power led has a gap between connectors.

for clarification-

there was a factory thermal paste pre-applied to the heatsink that i used, but since i've unseated it, I need to go get some more.

i tried running w/ just onboard, but no luck there.

The front panel has potential to be the problem. is there a way to bypass the power light? for whatever reason my case came with some weird connectors (Raidmax O2 case), and as such, the power LED connectors do not match up to the on board plug. based on newegg reviews, no one else has had this complaint, so this is probably due to my inexperience that I don't know how to rewire the plug correctly, whether the plug is incorrect at all.

most of the plugs have no space between wiring, but the power led has a gap between connectors.

I downloaded you manual ,im looking through it now ,just one think to make sure you have the ATX12V1: ATX 12V Power Connector plugged in that a square 4 pin connector goes in the motherboard ,near the mouse connection
i have had that with plugs on different cases ,what i do to correct it is using small wire cutters and cut out the center and have it like its 2 connectors ,one on each wire and hook it up that way .you would have to be careful not to cut it too close to the metal inside the plug .
also noticed that your ram choice is not on there list of tested ram ,maybe a factor may not

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.