As you know by now I am getting a AMD 64 3400+ well I was wonderng if the AMD 64 3400+ is really powerful enough to help my 9600XT acheive 100FPS in some games.

I am upgrading the 9600XT to a 6800Gt but probaly not for another few months.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

As you know by now I am getting a AMD 64 3400+ well I was wonderng if the AMD 64 3400+ is really powerful enough to help my 9600XT acheive 100FPS in some games.

I am upgrading the 9600XT to a 6800Gt but probaly not for another few months.

I think it's more a case of your 9600XT being the bottleneck, rather than the CPU. Whether or not you can achieve 100fps depends on the game. In games that use the Quake 2 and 3 engines, this would be easily achievable. In a newer game, such as Unreal Tournament 2004, you'd struggle to get close without sacrificing graphics detail.

Yes, it doesn't matter how powerful your system is, you can't make a display card exceed its capabilities.

what im trying to get at is, look at my system now, Im pretty sure my 9600Xt can get more then 20fps, but the celeron holds it back, the cpu does play a prt in FPS.

You will certainly see improvement, and perhaps a rather dramatic one. All we're pointing out is that, as far as 'high performance' display cards go the 9600XT probably just scrapes in at the bottom end!

i know that, but untill I get more cash for the 6800GT i gotta use the 9600Xt, and I just don't want to be diapointed with no increase in game performance.

BTW: will I see a major increase in performance , in just doing regular things?
Like will I notice I have a amd 64 3400+ in my pc and not the celeron?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.