Hi i'm new here i have a problem with my pc and i thought you guys could help.
It's a Compaq Presario 6000 PC running windows XP. I was going to replace the RAM uprage to 1GB. I bought two 512MB when i replaced the RAM i went to turn on the pc and it dit for 3 seconds and then shut off quickly and then turn on again but it shows nothing on the screen. At the beggining both lights turn on but then only one stays on and it seems like the computer is not making the ususal loading noise. I thought maybe wrong RAM even though it was the same specs but i replaced aging with the old RAM and the same thing is happening. It turns on acts like it's gonna load but turns off then turns on again but it doesn't sound like it's gonna load anything. And it just sits there with the light on and the disk drives open and close and nothing. i'm using two monitors my hadtv and the regular monitor and nothing shows up on eather one of them. Help will be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Is it showing any BIOS information on the screen? If it's not and you must have blown the motherboard when you were replacing the ram. This almost never happens with a simple ram-replacement, but I've seen stranger things.

Is it showing any BIOS information on the screen? If it's not and you must have blown the motherboard when you were replacing the ram. This almost never happens with a simple ram-replacement, but I've seen stranger things.

No it doesn't shown anything on the screen at all, Are you saying that the whole motherboard might be fried? i heard someone talk about a PSU or something, but it just suprises me that all the fan and lights work and it almost starts but then it shuts off and then turns back on but nothing happens kinda like it's a fail safe system of some sort. I don't know i'm gonna take it to this computer place by my house see if they can figure anything out the thing is you know they will charge a butt load of money just to check it, and if you are right i'm not that smart but replacing a motherboard is probably expensive and harder then replacing ram and you know where that got me.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.