Hi there to my family at DaniWeb !!!!!
I have 2 Dell Optiplex, Windows XP, machines. They are identicle, stand-up desktop machines. #1 I got working by just putting a hard drive in it, woks fine now.
#2 needed a hard drive and a processor. I bought a 2.6 MGz processor and installed it, that was my first installation of a processor. I took the working hard drive out of computer #1 and put it in computer #2. The computer fired right up ......but.
First it goes to a black screen with white lettering that says:
Diskette drive 0 seek failure
Secondary hard disk drive 0 not found
strick F1 to continue, F2 to run the setup utility.
If I choose F1 it goes right into Windows and all is well, F2 goes into BIOS. If I restart the computer it does the same thing every time. How do I get it to loadup right ?
I went into BIOS and here is some of the things I saw:
Diskette drive A: 3.5 inch, 1.44 MB
Primary Hard drive 0.... Hard drive
Primary hard drive 1.....OFF
Secondary Drive 0........Unknown device
Secondary Drive 1 .......OFF
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BOOT SEQUENCE
#1 Hard disk drive C : ON
#2 Floppy device ( not installed) OFF
#3 cd-rom device ( not installed) on
The only change I made in the BIOS was I turned off the "chassis intrusion " , to disabled
Any and all help to get the computer to just boot normaly is very much appreciated !!! Do I need to reformat the hard drive or something ?
Thanks for reading !!!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Sorry, I forgot to tell you that the model is a Optiplex GX240

Is there an option to disable boot-up floppy search?

It's not recognizing your hard drive properly, I couldn't tell you why. It will probably generate that error until you put in a drive it likes, I'd probably just put in a different hard drive and ghost the image from this one to that one. If it recognizes the new drive it will stop showing as "unknown"

Is there an option to disable boot-up floppy search?

It's not recognizing your hard drive properly, I couldn't tell you why. It will probably generate that error until you put in a drive it likes, I'd probably just put in a different hard drive and ghost the image from this one to that one. If it recognizes the new drive it will stop showing as "unknown"

Ok.....I feel really dumb replying back but maybe this will help someone who makes the same mistakes that I did.
The computer runs fine now. I went to swap out the hard drive with another one when I noticed that niether the floppy nor the cd player had power going to them :$ . They both had the "ribbon" wires hooked up but not the power. So I hooked up power to the 2 devices, and tried booting up. It works just fine now. Sorry!
Thanks be to OlyComputers for your help !!! And thanks be to DaniWeb for being here for all of us !!!

No problem, I'd guess the HDD's jumper settings were set for multiple drives and Dells BIOS got confused (they're notoriously picky about jumper settings), that would explain why your HDD was showing up as unkown.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.