I'm Only A Year Old When It Comes To Computers. So Any Help- Would Be Appreciated. Today I Downloaded Kodak Easyshare Software And The Latest Microsoft Security Patch. I Don't Know If Its The Cause Of My Problem? Today When I Attempted To Shut Down Windows M.e., It Sort Of Went Into A Standby Mode And Computer Wouldn't Shut Off, So I Went To Safemode And Shut It Down Fine. No0w In Regular Mode I Can't Shut Down.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

:) i believe what has happened is somehow the power features got altered
got to your control panel and check them

I'm Only A Year Old When It Comes To Computers. So Any Help- Would Be Appreciated. Today I Downloaded Kodak Easyshare Software And The Latest Microsoft Security Patch. I Don't Know If Its The Cause Of My Problem? Today When I Attempted To Shut Down Windows M.e., It Sort Of Went Into A Standby Mode And Computer Wouldn't Shut Off, So I Went To Safemode And Shut It Down Fine. No0w In Regular Mode I Can't Shut Down.

I went into power features and adjusted them but that wasn't the problem, thanks anyway. anybody else with a suggestion ?

I Dont Think I Explained The Problem Correctly, I Went To Start-shutdown-clicked On Ok Button To Shut Down, And Computer Stayed On But Screen Went Black And The Cursor Just Blinked In The Upper Left Hand Corner 2 Small Lines. Can You Help Me To Figure What Happened? Thank You .i Can't Get It To Shutdown.

At this point, you have only two options that I know of. The first is to use the "reset" button on the front of your PC tower. It's usually the smaller one under the power button. Using this button will simply "reboot" the system and may automatically run "scandisk" since you may have experienced an improper shut down. I'd use this as your first option (preferred to the power down). You could also try the CTRL+ALT+DEL to reboot.

The other option is to simply turn off the power (if you can). Wait a few minutes and then power up. Again, scandisck may automatically run. Let it run the full check.

I'd suggest that you go to this site http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;273746 where you will find a lengthy article titled "How To Troubleshoot Windows Me Shutdown Problems".

I run Me on my PC and have had this same problem from time to time. It is usually due to some program which you used during the session, not closing properly. Rebooting usually clears the problem (until next time). I have an old, old version of Adobe 4.0 on my PC and that is the program that causes me grief. Once I view a .pdf file, then close it out, the Adobe program does not close. If I use CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up the "Close Program" menu, select "Adobe" and close it, then I have no problems for the rest of the session including shutdown. But, if I forget, I may get a error msg telling me that one program is not shutting down and that I have to end it before I may continue, or it just hangs up.

Thank You So Much For Taking The Time To Write All That Info., I'm Sure You Got It Right, If Not The Link You Sent Me To, Has All The Info I Need. Forever Grateful, My God What A Great Website . I Just Saved A 35.00 Visit To Support Help From Uncle Bill. Thanks Rueful Rogue, And Daniweb.vb389.

vb389 you are very welcome. I just hope the info does indeed help you and welcome to Daniweb. I'm sorry I didn't see your original posting or I may have responded earlier. There are just so many people with problems and just so many spare minutes in a day...you know how that goes I'm sure. It's impossible to read all the postings. One just has to hope that someone on this BLOG will pick it up.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.