DVD drive won't read one of my DVD disks. It has a spot that is a bit darker and blurry. What is that? Can it be repaired?

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

DVD drive won't read one of my DVD disks. It has a spot that is a bit darker and blurry. What is that? Can it be repaired?

too funny ,you are looking at the dot and asking us what it is !
first try mild [disk]soap and water ,dry it with lint free cloth and try again

What? You really think I would post a question about something that is on the surface? I mean - do you REALLY think someone would post such question?

...I see I would have to find some picture on the 'net to demonstrate it...
...Here - I've found it: http://club.cdfreaks.com/f92/strange-behavior-my-new-benq-black-burn-spots-mcc003-128254/
That guy explains similar problem.
You can see it on this photo he posted:
http://img180.exs.cx/img180/5641/img33773es.jpg

On my DVD it's larger (about 1 cm) and it appears close to the inner edge of the reflective layer of the DVD... It just seems a bit darker - it's inside the layers of the DVD disk...

DVD is one of 15 DVDs (TRANSFORMERS G1 15 DVD collection), Chinese stuff...
Other DVD's also show symptoms (but mostly it's only on the very edge of the reflective layer - not on the data area)... I guess it's something like what happens to mirrors - the reflective layer start oxidizing... or something...

DVD drive can't read it at all... it doesn't even recognize it - it tries loading it - it struggles and then it gives-up and acts as if nothing is in DVD drive.

What cure is there?
Can the DVD be physicaly repaired somehow?
Is there a program that can read raw binary data from a DVD regardless of errors and copy it to hard-drive or something - like those programs used for data rescue from hard-drives?

What? You really think I would post a question about something that is on the surface? I mean - do you REALLY think someone would post such question?

yup!i read some whoppers over the years ,as a few my self ,way back when !
ok i read the link and it seems people think it a bad batch of disk ,his is burn spots on disk he is creating , looks like you got a program burnt on a set of cheap disk,and i doubt it can be fixed

How come there is not some program which overrides error-checking on DVD drives - so the motor just spins the disk and reading head just sort-of doesn't give a damn - reads RAW BINARY data - whatever it may look like - 0 or 1 - I mean - everything is divided (formatted) into some standard outlook - there are tracks and clusters and sectors etc - the reading head just sort-of rails-in on that.
And, so, the data is dumped in a single raw data file on your hard-drive.
Second step is to have a program which analyzes and recognizes stuff like End Of File marker etc. - Just cutting up that raw data file into separate files (name is not important, extension is not important - only data).

(I post the question here because I suppose someone is into these problems and knows what utilities exist thus now - and can what I described be made at all.)

How come there is not some program which overrides error-checking on DVD drives - so the motor just spins the disk and reading head just sort-of doesn't give a damn - reads RAW BINARY data - whatever it may look like - 0 or 1 - I mean - everything is divided (formatted) into some standard outlook - there are tracks and clusters and sectors etc - the reading head just sort-of rails-in on that.
And, so, the data is dumped in a single raw data file on your hard-drive.
Second step is to have a program which analyzes and recognizes stuff like End Of File marker etc. - Just cutting up that raw data file into separate files (name is not important, extension is not important - only data).

(I post the question here because I suppose someone is into these problems and knows what utilities exist thus now - and can what I described be made at all.)

way over me head Fred !
Ok ,you know what you want and seem to know how a cd/dvd is formatted , i guess you will have to learn some computer language and write you own software .I use nero and alcohol120% to do most of my burning and there are places to check off error reporting in bot !not sure if that is what you are talking about !i think not!

OK
Now, how about physical repair. I see that reflective layer is not the layer on which data is recorded.
Here, look:

http://www.computeroutlook.com/mp3/Forum%20Photos/VERB%20DVD-R%20Disc%20Structure.gif

( http://www.computeroutlook.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=358 )

Had anyone out there try to (sort-of) peel-off damaged part of reflective layer and replace it with something?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.