From last few days my desktop PC is working very slowly. What I have to do to speed up my PC? Basic configuration is as below.

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.5 GHz Processor
Ram: 2GB
HD: 350 GB
Mother Board: Giga Byte

Recommended Answers

All 23 Replies

From last few days my desktop PC is working very slowly. What I have to do to speed up my PC? Basic configuration is as below.

Intel Pentium Dual Core 2.5 GHz Processor
Ram: 2GB
HD: 350 GB
Mother Board: Giga Byte

try to use Disk Ceanup and then Defrag ur pc.

Hi,
Few tips to speed up your computer:
Do your disk cleanup regularly
Delete your cookies
Do not keep unused programs on desktop (if possible keep desktop as free as you can)
Use default screen savers and desktop settings
Do not use Classic Start Menu

Just try out for the same.

You could try stopping any startup programs running that aren't needed.

Go to run and type in msconfig press enter. Untick any process that you don't want to run and select ok and restart.

- hope this helps.

I am thankful to all of you for your great support. As you said in your post I am go through it. I am back if I have any other issue. I hope you don't mine.

As I go through your advice I found that disabling startup items in msconfig it’s not a recommended permanent fix as it can cause problems for the disabled software. It’s usually only done when testing (although some items are ok to disable this way). Well As per your suggestions my PC speed is little increase but can you please let me know how to remove computer virus infections quickly and easily from my PC and How can I fix it permanently?

Format your Hard Drive

Combofix helps, but it is not really reliable. It can crush and burn your windows.

PerfectDisk is the only defragmenter that defragments metadata. It fragments over time and none of the other defragmenters touch it. Only other way to defragment that is to format the drive.

It also sorts the files according to the boot-accessing, to speed up the boot-up process.

OCing always speeds up the machine, but not much if your RAM is not of the high-end class... (and if your CPU isn't Intel)

I've got a similar build:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 Duo (E5200)
RAM: 1GB DDR2 667MHz
HDD: 150 GB Samsung Spinpoint F1
MotherBoard: ASUS P5KPL-AM

And I've never really had a problem with the speed. I noticed that the E5200's are pretty good at overclocking and many have reached 3.8GHz. Also the P5KPL-AM has an overclocking profile, I tried it once but it wasn't stable on any of the settings. I wouldn't advise overclocking at all.

If one wants overclocking controls (not as 10%, 20%... graduation, but as frequency, multilipliers, voltages and such settings), one would have to choose AMD over Intel. Last Intel I had my hands on was, I think, 3800 (couple of years ago) with practically no OC ability, so excuse my bias.

Oh, yes.. if you want stability 24/7, forget about overclocking. Do it only if you can live with evetual BSOD or memory allocation errors.

First, try deleting all unused / unecessary programs. Then run a program called CCleaner. Follow this by a disk defragmentation.

If you need your internet sped up, and not just your "computer," then get mozilla firefox and google "how to speed up firefox"

You can manually configure HDs in your BIOS, change startup sequence to HD first, enable quick POST, disable floppy seeking.... That will significantly speed up booting.

Thanks for your advice. If I format my PC and reinstall the entire programs the virus is detected? I am thankful to all of you but I don't want to change any hardware in my PC. Please give any more suggestions as I am really looking for it.

I'm not sure what you mean by a virus is detected when you format your hard drive.

When you format your hard drive you are wiping it clean and reinstalling the operating system. So you should start afresh with everything.

Not if it is a MBR-resident virus (very rare and very hard to get rid of without compete data loss).

Deleting the partitions is actually wiping the drive, and getting rid of potential MBR-resident viruses.. It is the partitions that are formated. Not the drive.. not directly.

Not if it is a MBR-resident virus (very rare and very hard to get rid of without compete data loss).

Deleting the partitions is actually wiping the drive, and getting rid of potential MBR-resident viruses.. It is the partitions that are formated. Not the drive.. not directly.

I stand corrected! Very valid point.

Could you suggest me the name of virus, malware and spyware removal software? I also try to find on Google but I got plenty of results and I am confuse to select the better one. Please help...

I'm affraid that your guess is as good as any.

I suggest that you run combofix.

It is not an anti-malware software, but a automated scripted batch with collection of commandline utilities.
You might screw up your windows running it. It says that 1 out of 100 PCs end up with corrupt registry or something.

.. but it did get rid of some very nasty trojan that others failed to. Saved my Windows from formatting plenty of times.

I suggest that you, if you're brave enough, don't touch anything until it tells you it is done and opens a report log. Sometimes it reboots 2 times before it is done.

Nice question... FAQ

You could always download Hijack This run a scan and then post the log, and also malware bytes will remove most viruses but as said before it will sometimes shred your regisstry depending on how far the virus is engraved into it.

Next time you re-boot, unplug your power supply for 20 seconds before starting up again. I can't explain why, but apparently some memory is retained so long as you are plugged in. Unplugging often helps the computer to "forget" some of the garbage that is giving trouble.

I disagree. RAM goes blank the moment it gets shut down.

There shuldn't be a difference between mains plugged in and mains plugged out, unless you don't actually shut down your machine, but instead go into a standby or hibernate mode.

As I am receiving your replies on how to make my computer faster, I have get plenty of replies and as per your suggestion on registry fix I have purchase best registry software for my slow computer. I am using that software like registry cleaner to fix my slow computer speed.

Thanks,
Thomas

upgrade your 2 type memory..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.