i have a memory question. i have a 478 socket northwood with a gig of pc2700 single channel ram. The new boards im looking at all seem to run duel channel. I have heard that some are backwards compatable and will run both duel channel and single channel, but is it like this for all motherboards? basically i want to fix up my computer cheaply until i make a new one next year, therefore i dont want to buy new ram too right now. any clairification would be awesome thanks :)

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

You don't have to run dual channel. However, it is recommended for P4 systems, and all you need are two or four matched sticks. The RAM doesn't have to be special "dual channel" RAM - just make sure you have sticks of the same brand and model. Mixing and matching can work, but don't count on it.

You don't have to run dual channel. However, it is recommended for P4 systems, and all you need are two or four matched sticks. The RAM doesn't have to be special "dual channel" RAM - just make sure you have sticks of the same brand and model. Mixing and matching can work, but don't count on it.

ok that sounds good, i have 2 256 sticks that are the exact same and then i upgraded one 512 stick of a different kind for a total of three...so the motherboards would just recognize that its not duel chanel and not utilize the capability but still work? i just want to make sure before i buy one. thanks :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.