A friend just gave me an Apple 17" LCD Studio Display. It doesn't have any controls on it, no buttons except power. It was bought with new with a Dual Core 1000MHz G4.

I don't have any software disks that may have come with it.

I use OSX 10.4.11 almost all the time, and I can set the resolution via the Displays System Preference panel - I get all the resolution display choices.

But I still use OS 9 for a few programs, and in OS 9.2.2 only the 1280 x 960 (maximum) resolution choice us available in the Monitors Control Pane or Control Strip. It's a bit small and I wish I could make it 1024 x 768.

Does anybody know if this is resolvable?

I'm still using the Apple display in 1280 x 960... does anybody know how to make other choices appear in the OS 9 monitors control panel?

thanx

Has anybody else run into this?

I'm in the same dilemma, except I need 1440x900 - I'm wondering if there's a maximum resolution Os9 can support? I can't find information about it anywhere.

I'll let you know if I find anything on that resolution.

I end up with two screens running at different resolutions - so when you drag or extend something across two screens it ends up being two different sizes. It's wacky.

The only hope I think I have is to find a copy of the original install disk that came with the monitor, and hopefully that will give me more monitor resolution options in OS 9.

I doubt that there is a software/driver solution. As you have noted, Mac are pretty good at detecting monitors and offering resolutions.

You may be able to get more resolutions out of your system by buying a better video card, but probably not worth the money.

Is this an ADC display? [Apple Studio Display 17 (ADC) - Technical Specifications, http://support.apple.com/kb/SP57]. ADC displays were[are?] high performance machines. However, I have known several techs who got ADC displays from friends and can't use them, not even with their Apple computers and Apple NON-ADC video cards.

A friend just gave me an Apple 17" LCD Studio Display. It doesn't have any controls on it, no buttons except power. It was bought with new with a Dual Core 1000MHz G4.

I don't have any software disks that may have come with it.

I use OSX 10.4.11 almost all the time, and I can set the resolution via the Displays System Preference panel - I get all the resolution display choices.

But I still use OS 9 for a few programs, and in OS 9.2.2 only the 1280 x 960 (maximum) resolution choice us available in the Monitors Control Pane or Control Strip. It's a bit small and I wish I could make it 1024 x 768.

Does anybody know if this is resolvable?

Thanks dlvn2.

I'm using the Apple AGP video card, I would think that it would have everything any other card would have.

The link you posted did not work on my computer.

Until I find the disk that came with the monitor I won't believe that Apple would make a monitor for OS 9, while they were selling computers that came with OS 9, that couldn't do other than 1280 x 960. It just doesn't seem credible that they would do that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.