was in the middle of playing a game when i froze up... had to turn the power off to get it back...when i restarted it was a blank screen ... comp was running but the power light was flashing for 20 secs then turns off evantho the comp is on and running, it has never done this befor and rarely freezes its a HP 2400i believe had a loose wire to monitor with a missing screw and thought that might have done it

any suggestions? please forgive the lack of puncuation

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

was in the middle of playing a game when i froze up... had to turn the power off to get it back...when i restarted it was a blank screen ... comp was running but the power light was flashing for 20 secs then turns off evantho the comp is on and running, it has never done this befor and rarely freezes its a HP 2400i believe had a loose wire to monitor with a missing screw and thought that might have done it

A blinking power light indicates an initialization error before the normal power-on self test (POST).

* Check that the CPU heat sink is on properly, and secure.
* Make sure that the CPU fan is spinning.
* Ensure that the RAM is properly seated.
* Try another power supply.
* Unplug the keyboard and mouse.

Those are the most likely suspects, especially the power supply. Anything else would usually allow POSTing and beep codes, at least.

also if your computer is still under warrenty id suggest giving HP a call

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.