HI, I`m looking to buy a laptop, I currently found two different brand laptops that I`m interested in. One is a sony, the other one is dell, I`m not too concerned about the brand, but since they have different processors I need a suggestion to which one is better.

The sony is a VGN-FW590 with a Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9900 (3.06GHz) processor.

The dell is a alienware M15x with a Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache) processor.

the difference in price is only about $100, which one would be a better buy?

Thanks guys

So, the i7 is definitely a better buy?

yea, the i7 is definetly a better buy. sony items are usually more expensive than they're worth just because they have the name "sony". The alienware looks better and has a better video card. and i7 is better and newer than core 2 duo

When the processor is described like this:
Intel Core i7 820QM 1.73GHz (3.06GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache) processor

which number if the most important, if it`s a 1.73Ghz what 3.06Ghz turbo mode means?

"The turbo mode turns off cores that would otherwise be left idle when they're not in use, and reroutes the power budget that normally would be applied to those cores to the active cores, which promises to further boost their performance without wasting power."

....so i'm guessing that you either use all 4 cores of the i7 @ 1.73 GHz each, either only one or two @ 3.06....

even if the processor frequency is lower if its generation is newer than it will be better and more effective because it utilizes newer technologies and implementations

Dell is a good brand to buy and i7 is really what i will suggest you to buy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.