I have an Acer 5920 laptop that recently had a bug in the boot sector. I wound up reinstalling Vista on another partition to be able to get back to the original installation that came with it. Now that it is back working I noticed that only 2G of the installed 4G is showing up in the system or the BIOS. I opened and looked, removed and replaced the two memory sticks and still only 2G will read in the bottom slot. Both sticks read in the bottom slot and the system won't boot up with one in the top slot. Is this a sign of a dead motherboard, or try something else.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

I have an Acer 5920 laptop that recently had a bug in the boot sector. I wound up reinstalling Vista on another partition to be able to get back to the original installation that came with it. Now that it is back working I noticed that only 2G of the installed 4G is showing up in the system or the BIOS. I opened and looked, removed and replaced the two memory sticks and still only 2G will read in the bottom slot. Both sticks read in the bottom slot and the system won't boot up with one in the top slot. Is this a sign of a dead motherboard, or try something else.

i thought maybe it more likely a sign that the laptop only takes 2 gig of ram and no more,but a google search shows it can take 2x2gig ,maybe a dead ram slot ,try a brush or compressed ait to make sure nothing in the slot

After I removed and installed the memory sticks many times, I took it to Best Buy to determine if the stick was bad or the motherboard. It seems the tech reset it and now it works fine.

After I removed and installed the memory sticks many times, I took it to Best Buy to determine if the stick was bad or the motherboard. It seems the tech reset it and now it works fine.

weird ,but at least its working ,good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.