Scenario:
I build and assemble an ATX machine with some decent components, but definitely not the most potent of powers:

---------------------------------------

-LGA775 Elitegroup 865PE-A7 Motherboard (800Mhz Bus)
-Pentium 4 HT @3.00Ghz
-512MB PNY Tech DDR400 Memory
-420 Watt ATX Power Supply
-PCI (ouch) PNY Tech GeForce FX 5200

----------------------------------------

After...

Then I install some pretty fans, a very nice heatsink, and an AGP PNY Tech GeForce 6200 (Prior to the 6200 installation I made sure I uninstalled the old card, just for reassurance.) So I try the power button...
The comp will not boot. No signal to monitor, that is. All electronics are flashing and going, but no response. Crap. Something was up- it was either the heatsink, the power (since my AGP card required a four-pin), or something with my motherboard and how it treated AGP. However, after around 45 tries to start up the machine, the BIOS loads, and I resume Windows. So boot is definitely possible... but it's highly unstable.

:confused:

Hi BeastOverlordH6,
If everything was installed correctly & configured properly then..
Sounds like a motherboard grounding short. You need to have a technician check it out with an ohm meter.
Hope this helps :)
RGPHNX
-PS- you could also check out the troubleshooting guide at my website..it's step by step.. maybe you'll find some answers.

Had same issue with this card in system with AMD xp2000, nForce2 and new Thermaltake 420 PSU. Changed PSU to new Rosewell 450 and will boot only when cold. Looks like card is very sensitive to the power.

Surprisingly, of the components, I actually found the source of the issue. The Zalman heatsink, which I applied at the same time of the other components, shorted the board. Unlike the standard Intel heatsink, the Zalman required the board to come out and the use of washers. I recently reinstalled the heatsink and found that I needed to use a different size of washer.

Cold boot only? I find that a very strange condition. Warm boot is just a reset of the motherboard...

re:

I actually found the source of the issue. The Zalman heatsink, which I applied at the same time of the other components, shorted the board

...SUSPICIONS CONFIRMED.. :cheesy:
Happy computing BeastOverlordH6 !

RGPHNX

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.