I'm working on an old pc (actually 2 machines) that runs medical diagnostic software that uses an internal cassette drive. It's connected to an EISA card. The software requires a hardlock key (dongle) to run. The problem is, I can't get the software to recognize the cassette drive. I've changed the I/O on the card and was able to get a blue screen so I know it see's the card. The drive powers up, all the connections are good, and the drivers are installed with the software. Anyone have any experience or thoughts on this archaic system? Thanks!

software? OS?
Just because the system sees the card does NOT mean that there is any real communication between the card and the drive. That the drive powers up may just be a auto sequence that is internal to the drive itself, modern day HDs do the same thing.

The software is propietary and includes drivers for the tape drive. It's compatible with windows98, NT, 2000 pro and I've tried with each O.S. The company that originally manufactured and sold it no longer supports it (of course). I think this one is a lost cause....

software? OS?
Just because the system sees the card does NOT mean that there is any real communication between the card and the drive. That the drive powers up may just be a auto sequence that is internal to the drive itself, modern day HDs do the same thing.

Not knowing the exact purpose of the device it's hard to guess.
I do know of a similar mach. that recorded called in pacemaker data. If this is similar perhaps an alteration of DVR technology?

I think that's exactly what is does. (Or at least it used to...)

Not knowing the exact purpose of the device it's hard to guess.
I do know of a similar mach. that recorded called in pacemaker data. If this is similar perhaps an alteration of DVR technology?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.