Hello all,

I'm currently trying to resolve an issue with a corrupt registry. I have a fix from Microsoft where I have to use the Recovery Console from the XP CD. My only problem is that Bios will only let me change the System Date/Time and or create a Password. It will not let me change BOOT Priority. I've never seen anything like this and am quite frustrated. It lets me view the BOOT priority which currently is: HDD\FDD\CD-ROM\LAN. If anyone has heard anything like this I would love to know what I'm missing. The model of the laptop is a Toshiba Satelite A45-S150.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

hi n welcome toddman

who is your bios manufacturer?

in most cases to alter the values etc in bios you need to go into the CMOS features. from this you should in most cases be able to alter the values in the boot priority by pressing page up or page down respectively to change them.

when you do get to changing your boot priorities ensure that the cd drive remains as your first boot option - not the hard disk drive.

Ram is dinfinly going bad replaced your ram, that yo can change your bios setting, and in window you get corrupt registry make recover from backup. (BUT FIRST TRY CLEAR YOU CMOS AND YOU SURE BE ABLE TO AT LEASE CHANGE YOU BOOT PRIORITY BECAUSE IT TAKE A COUPLE OF TIMES WHEN YOU RESET BIOS FOR BIOS TO RELIZE YOUR RAM BAD THEN YOU CAN TRY TO INSTALL WINDOWS IF YOU GET CAN'T LOCATED FILE DO YOU WHAT TO SKIP OR RETRY TO FIND FILE WHEN TRYING TO SETUP WINDOWS STOP AND CHANGE YOUR RAM THAT ONE WAY OF TESTING YOUR RAM.

Hi toddman,

To change the Boot Device priority for your system, press the F12 key immediately after pressing the power button. You can also use the left or right arrow keys to select the boot device. Your laptop uses a quick-boot system so if you do not press either the F12 or left or right arrow keys immediately after pressing the power button the system will not allow you to change the boot order unless you do so from the Toshiba configuration utility within Windows. As far as leaving your system set to boot from the CD first all the time, that is a matter of choice. The system will boot slightly faster if you have the primary hard drive as the first boot device because it doesn't look for a boot disk in the CD first. Also leaving the CD as the first boot device can cause problems if you happen to leave a bootable CD in the drive by mistake when you shutdown and restart the system. You can find more information about your system including drivers and the users guide at the Toshiba support site:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/su/su_sc_modSel.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1948581347.1122256451@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccchaddffdmkfdhcgfkceghdgngdgnj.0

Hope this helps.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.