Is there a program that will show my cpu temp without having to go into bios.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

yes but ill let you do the hard work. there might even be a program on your motherboard installation cd

Be nice Janine...We're suppost to help here.

belikemike...I think Janines point was that a lot of answers can be found by googling, but there are a lot of choices out there and it sure is nice when you can get a good recomendation to narrow down your choices. I like Everest Home Edition, it will provide you with temps and voltages and tell you just about anything you want to know about your machine. :cool:

http://www.lavalys.com/

The beauty of this is that you can minimize it and use another page to do something else and then go back to monitor your system without having to close anything or use a disk.

Be nice Janine...We're suppost to help here.

belikemike...I think Janines point was that a lot of answers can be found by googling, but there are a lot of choices out there and it sure is nice when you can get a good recomendation to narrow down your choices. I like Everest Home Edition, it will provide you with temps and voltages and tell you just about anything you want to know about your machine. :cool:

http://www.lavalys.com/

The beauty of this is that you can minimize it and use another page to do something else and then go back to monitor your system without having to close anything or use a disk.

i know i know. i just didnt have a great deal of time to look for the solutions myself as i had to go out.

googling is a good place to start but i also use ask jeeves www.ask.co.uk . it'll usually take you to something matching your query word for word.

i've heard of everest before but haven't used it. i dont like to reccomend something that i haven't used before if you know what i mean. most motherboard installation and setup cds come with the programs already installed- you just have to search for them occasionally. i know i did with my brothers disks.

if you've got lots of wonka to spare then why not look at a hardware option. you can get hold of these and basically you'll have a head unit thingy that fits into a standard drive bay and little temperature sensors that you can dot about inside the machine. provided they're placed right they should give ample and true readings:)

I'ma smack you lot. You're not really helping a helluva lot! :D

belikemike, could you let us know the make and model of your motherboard please? There may be a suitable manufacturer program which lets you monitor it from within Windows. If not, there are some other tools which may be able to allow you to display temps on the desktop or in the system tray, so you can monitor them without needing to start a program and generate a report ;)

Good mornig Catweazle... you wrote "there are some other tools which may be able to allow you to display temps on the desktop or in the system tray", I would be intersted in reading more about these, would you please provide some more information.

"I'ma smack you lot. You're not really helping a helluva lot"
If my suggestion isn't being helpful let me know and I'll gladly desist.

Sorry, missed a smilie there to indicate the comment was tongue-in-cheek. fixed now!

There are some software utilities which allow real time monitoring of system temperatures as I've described, but they depend on the motherboard make and model. A program called MBM5 was the best of them, but deveopment ceased about a year ago and motherboards released since then are not supported.

Speedfan is another utility. Some of the downloadable 'Widgets' would suit the task also.

Sorry, missed a smilie there to indicate the comment was tongue-in-cheek. fixed now!

Hehehehehehehehehehe. You're forgiven.:lol:

There are some software utilities which allow real time monitoring of system temperatures as I've described, but they depend on the motherboard make and model. A program called MBM5 was the best of them, but deveopment ceased about a year ago and motherboards released since then are not supported.

Speedfan is another utility. Some of the downloadable 'Widgets' would suit the task also.

ok so say if i wanted to find out the current temps etc for an Abit VA20 motherboard where would I look.

Also how about one for a foxcon K7S741MG motherboard

Both AMD Sempron processors:)

Janine, that's a topic hijack! Further questions are really supposed to go in their own topics. But for the benefit of belikemike I'll explain anyway.

Neither of those motherboards shows up as 'supported' in the motherboard support section of the MBM5 website, so that utility is not suitable to use with them. The ABit website support section shows that no suitable utility is included with the ABit board, and checking the Foxconn website indicates the same for that board.

In that event, you'd need to google to find out what temperature sensors were used on the board, and configure a program such as Speedfan to use them. Everest Home edition will help identify the sensors. Should you not be able to use a desktop real-time readout with the particular motherboards, Everest can be loaded whilst in Windows to check temperatures.

Another good utility is S2kControl, which is mainly used for keeping Athlon XP temperatures down on boards using VIA chipsets which don't enable 'bus disconnect' in BIOS. Even on motherboards which don't need that assistance, however, S2kControl can place temperature readouts in the Notification area.

Thanks for the info catweasle. much appreciated and sorry about the topic hijack. please forgive me. :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.