I am working on a friend's computer (Dell Inspiron 1525 3 yrs old) and it won't boot. I've tried reinstalling Windows Vista to no avail and it won't boot from the cd either. I am now running a DST short test on the hard drive and it has been reading "Status: Attempting to start" and 0% complete for over an hour now. Not even an error code. Just won't even go. I think the hard drive is shot. Anybody else have a different opinion or avenue I could take to try to diagnose? Am going to try to boot from Ubuntu on a thumb drive once I download it, but it will take me a while to get around to doing that because of time constraints. Ideas are welcome!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Easiest option is to throw a new hdd in it! They can be bought very cheaply from ebay! As an example, I have a brand new 500gig hdd in my laptop and it was only £48.99 with free p&p.

i don't understand post such as this one ,the answer is in your post[running a DST short test on the hard drive and it has been reading "Status: Attempting to start" and 0% complete for over an hour now. ] ,bad hdd ,simple to troubleshoot ,try another hdd ,most of us who work on computer have extra hdd just around ,

I got an error code 1000-0146 on a DST Short Status Test. Anyone know what that means?

I got an error code 1000-0146 on a DST Short Status Test. Anyone know what that means?

hi,hat make is the hdd,basically it means the hdd is bad ,check the RMA section of the hdd makers website for further details if its still under warrenty

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.