Hi All,

I'm having great fun trying to fix my comp (again)... ...not. :mad:

Basically, a few weeks ago, while I was playing a fairly demanding game, my comp just completely shut itself down. Weird, I thought, as I tried to turn it back on. But, it wouldn't power up.

Maybe it's overheated? I left it 10 mins or so and turned it back on. In BIOS, I had an error message saying:

During the last boot-up, your system hung for an improper CPU speed setting.

...and so on. I check Everest on next boot-up and see pretty damn high temperatures inside the box. So, I ordered a new fan online. It was a VapoChill (http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Vapochill_Micro.html), if that helps anyone. It claims to pretty much eliminate motherboard overheating altogether, so it pretty much sold itself to me.

The fan arrived today, I've fit it, and booted up. I test the computer by running Sims 2, which runs at an average speed at the best of times anyway. CRASH :mad: :mad:

I boot back up again a short while later to find the same error message in BIOS. I've also noticed that the temperatures inside the box aren't actually that much different to what they were before.

Is this an overheating problem? If so... why hasn't the new fan solved it?

Thanks all.

Recommended Answers

All 15 Replies

Your system is overheating, but not due to a lack of proper cooling. From the message from your BIOS, I can tell that you haven't configured the FSB and multiplier settings for your CPU correctly. Basically, your system is overheating because your CPU is running overclocked. Go into your BIOS and make sure that you don't have any overclocking settings turned on and make sure that your front-side bus and multiplier settings are correct.

Thank GOD for clever people :)

Is there any way I can find out what exactly my FSB and multiplier settings are supposed to be?

What CPU do you have?

Intel Pentium 4, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)
Prescott

Is that enough info?

You've listed your FSB and multiplier settings in your post.

Multiplier - 15
FSB - 200

I'm an AMD guy, so I don't know much about Intel. I do believe; however, that Pentium 4 chips can't have their multiplier modified, so make sure that your FSB speed is set correctly.

Well, I just checked. I have the following settings:

CPU Frequency Multiple - 15x
CPU External Frequency - 200/33

I take it the bottom one is the FSB? If so, Hardware Monitor is unfortunately still giving me the same error. The CPU is still hanging :(

Any ideas?

Quick question... Did you put thermal paste or a thermal pad between the processor and heatsink?

There was already something on the bottom of the heatsink when I put it in, which I assume is thermal paste as it was a sticky substance. Does that make a difference?

yes and no
you should have put paste on that pad---it may be too late :(

but if its not too late-try putting paste on it--it should cool it by 60%

yes and no
you should have put paste on that pad---it may be too late :(

but if its not too late-try putting paste on it--it should cool it by 60%

Thermal paste isn't necessary if a thermal pad is already present on the heatsink. Granted, paste can be better, but not as much as 60%. Was the heatsink correctly mounted? Did the pad have a plastic covering that you removed beforehand?

What kinds of temperatures are you seeing Paddy? Do you have any case cooling?

Thermal paste isn't necessary if a thermal pad is already present on the heatsink. Granted, paste can be better, but not as much as 60%. Was the heatsink correctly mounted? Did the pad have a plastic covering that you removed beforehand?

What kinds of temperatures are you seeing Paddy? Do you have any case cooling?

I'm beginning to think the temperature of the CPU isn't the problem - it's the temperature of the motherboard.

When I first boot up the CPU is at about 30C and the Mobo at 70C. After running The Sims 2 for about 10 minutes, the CPU has risen to 40C and the motherboard is around 85C - which I'm told is FAR too high.

Other than the new fan I have installed, I also have one case-mounted fan. A guy at work today has told me I need a fan that removes air from the case, although I have no idea what these are or where to get them.

Whoa, that is crazy-high. 30-40 would be a safe temperature for the motherboard, but yours is way past that. Is the motherboard cooler a passive cooler, and if not, is the fan spinning? Regardless, I'd be looking into sending it back for a replacement if it's still under warranty.

Ok, it's not the motherboard. I think Everest has the Motherboard and CPU temperatures the wrong way around - can anybody else confirm this?

I've just downloaded a program call Motherboard Monitor, which monitors temperatures and voltages etc for everything going on inside the case.

It's telling me the case temperature is 34°C - no problem there.

But the CPU temperature is running between 70°C and 75°C when just doing very basic things. If I were to run a game, it jumps up to around 85°C.

I have a brand new CPU fan, one much better than the standard ones. I've got it on full speed (about 3700 RPM) and I'm STILL getting these ridiuclous CPU temperatures... how can I cool it down?

Ok, it would seem that you've got the heatsink mounted incorrectly. See this article for tips on proper heatsink installation and application of thermal paste (swapping AMD & FX-53 for your CPU :P).

is it one of the new stock clip ons
or one of the metal pin on ones?

in my own opinion-the metal one's are more reliable

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.