I been having problemss with my Toshiba laptop after it crash.
I have tried reinstalling the system's operating system with the Toshiba recovery disk, but half way through the process it stop and a window come up stating "Cannot Read File"... what can i do...

I am running a
Toshiba 5105-S501
Windows Xp Home Edition

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

geeky_jose06,

Does your CD have any scratches or smudges on it?

J_

geeky_jose06,

Try booting the system into the Window's recovery console and run the commands chkdsk /r and chkdsk /f to see if your HDD is damanaged. Write down any messages. Next, if everything with the HDD looks ok,take out a memory stick and try the install with just one. Fail? Try the other.

J_

How can i boot the system into the Window's recovery console

geeky_jose06,

You need to use the Toshiba recovery disk, but since I am not familiar with the actual steps of that particular manufacturer, I cannot guide you any further. You'll need to look for the option of "Recovery". It's usually an option in the Setup Screen of the Windows Installation, by pressing "R".

J_

The recovery CD for your Toshiba computer is damage or files are corruted. You cannot access the recovery console of microsoft windows using this cd to run check disk. I suggest you call Toshiba at 18004577777 and acquire a recovery disc from them

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.