I am new to the forum would like to know if anyone can help me. I recently installed a geforce fx 5600 ultra. When installed the latest drivers for it windows will not boot up. It freezes at the boot screen or has weird splattered colors at teh boot screen. I tried previous versions of the drivers but it won't work. I was getting windows protection errors, but i reformatted my drive and reinstalled windows and the latest drivers for everything including my motherboard. I had the same problem with the ti 200 before I put this one in. The ti 200 ran fine after I installed the original drivers that came with the card which are way out of date, but none of the newer drivers would let windows boot. I have a Shuttle Ak31 board with all the latest drivers and 1gb of ram. I have a 250W psu which is the minimum for the 5600 ultra. I am running Win98SE. I don't know what the problem is. I am running memtest right now. I would appreciate if someone could help me. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I guessed I solved it. I went to guru3d.com which i found someone listed one here and downloaded the via drivers and the nvidia ones window now loads up no problem.

I guessed I solved it. I went to guru3d.com which i found someone listed one here and downloaded the via drivers and the nvidia ones window now loads up no problem.

I'm glad the link helped -- and thanks for reporting back!

btw: i seriously suggest you upgrade your PSU, although 250W is minimunm, it still can't work to its full potential
I have the same card and works beautifully, but then again i have 400 or 450 watt PSU(not in the mood to open the comp and check). Since 250W is minimum, if ur cd and other devieces are running, the gfx card isnt having as much as it can have from the PSU and if it degrades enough then it will go into low power mode. The lower power mode just doesnt force as much electricity through the gpu and thus lower fps.

Its up to you though, but if you experience low fps and looking to upgrade something i suggest u do the PSU 1st

Well thanks for the info. I probably will get another psu then.What brand do you think i should get?I just don't wont to get a crappy cheap one and it goes dead on me.

Well thanks for the info. I probably will get another psu then.What brand do you think i should get?I just don't want to get a crappy cheap one and it goes dead on me.

Antec and Sparkle are two well-known ones -- there are many others.

Know your vendor is another watchword. There are a lot of decent (and not-so-decent) lesser-known brands and a good vendor would know the track record of what they sell.

Look for supplies that are Underwriter Labs or ETC recognized. The UL-recognized logo is a stylized, reverse "UR" symbol.

Make sure that the size and configuration of the new supply is compatible with your case. Some more-powerful supplies have two fans -- make sure that the location of the second fan allows a good fit. Some are on top, some on the bottom, and some are on the side opposite from the main fan. A bottom-mounted fan, if it fits, can increase the airflow around the CPU.

Most new supplies have tags that indicate that the unit is Intel- and/or AMD-compatible.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.